Late primary admission - what happens??

(132 Posts)
tangledtights Sun 12-Feb-12 16:50:10

We're moving down to the Teddington/Hampton area in June. HOORAY!! Its taken a year but DH has finally got himself a job and we can make the move. Completely gutted we've missed the primary admission deadline in January though and starting to panic about whether or not my daughter who is 4 in June will manage to get a reception place for September. Does anyone know what the process is for a late application?

We're thinking that we will rent whatever house we can get that is closest to one of the schools that we like. I have seen a couple of houses up for rent that are 0.07 miles away from one of the potential schools in Hampton (Stanley). How do waiting lists work? If we live closest does that mean that we go up the waiting list even if someone else is already on the waiting list but lives a bit further away?

How do you think I'm best finding out which of the primary schools in the Teddington/Hampton/Hampton Wick area are likely to have more space? If I can find this out, then I suppose the best thing would be to try and get a property next door to the school to try and get her a space.

What happens if she doesn't get a space in one of the local schools? Does anyone have any experience of this? How far out would she have to go and is it always to a school that isn't rated as well?

Sorry lots of questions but panic setting in. confused

thanks

Teddyking1 Wed 26-Sep-12 14:35:29

Everybody got places In the borough but not necessarily at a school of their choice.

Ellewood Wed 26-Sep-12 13:21:57

Hi

We will also be registering as a late admission and I wondered wht happened in this situation - did you get a place at your chosen school?

londoniana Fri 31-Aug-12 20:39:24

Looks live everyone got a school place by now.

http://goo.gl/grblf

Any news, everyone?

BayJay Wed 25-Jul-12 18:00:39

Everyone, for info, the council's 2012 Admission's report is now available on their website. It contains details the outcomes (to date) of the borough’s admissions processes for the Reception and Year 7 intakes for the 2012/2013 school year.

dilys4trevor Wed 25-Jul-12 11:14:29

I was interested in Sacred Heart after hearing they are under subscribed (don't know if that is true as I live on the other side of town) and the results at L4 and L5 are pretty impressive. DS is going to school next year (either SMSP or Stanley) and I am going to be happy as Larry with either of them (we moved from quite a troubled area where our local school option was well under average), but the results are nowhere near as good as they are at Sacred Heart. I'd be delighted with it. I really get the worry over the RC thing as my parents weren't religious either, but I went to quite a full on RC primary and secondary (for 'good school' rather than faith reasons) and although the faith element was very present, kids kind of took what they wanted from it and to varying degrees, as did parents (some very much into the faith aspect, some not so much). You may also be able to opt out of some of it, and ensure your child is exposed to the minimum. It could really work out. Good luck with Collis though. Sounds like a good chance of getting in

londoniana Tue 24-Jul-12 10:49:06

Thanks. It does seem like a good school although I'm still not sure about it being Roman-Catholic.

We've just dropped our H. Wick wait list place (we were 4th as of yesterday). I signed up with a wraparound care provider who does pick-ups from both Sacred Heart and Collis. Even if we change schools during Reception we at least have some continuity with afterschool. Not ideal but we're 2nd on Collis wait list so we have good chances to get in - hopefully sooner rather than later smile

dilys4trevor Mon 09-Jul-12 08:46:26

That's great londoniana! It's a good school. What a relief to have a place and sounds like it isn't too far from where you are

londoniana Thu 05-Jul-12 16:26:57

Hi, we've just received an offer for Sacred Heart, which we accepted just in case - as we can't go private or commute too far. We'll stay on the wait list for Collis and H Wick - currently 2nd and 3rd on these so fingers crossed for a place by the end of the summer!

Good luck to all those still unplaced or waiting for other choices!

Teddersmum Thu 05-Jul-12 12:54:34

Hi, My hubby just been chatting to one of the Collis governors, who confirmed that there will be no bulge class.

Teddersmum Wed 04-Jul-12 19:09:25

Just read the minutes from admissions website, and they sound confident that they will find places for all the unplaced children. Getting very close to end of term though, lets hope they don't leave parents stewing all summer sad

playgroup Wed 04-Jul-12 14:49:37

That information is to be found in the Richmond admissions forum June meeting .I think it is 30 kids unplaced from the on time admissions and there are also the late applicant as well .So it is over 30 kids.
Well they have 3 weeks till schools break up so we will see if they do anything drastic .

londoniana Wed 04-Jul-12 13:31:00

Any updates re the wait list, anyone?

I spoke with HWick, Collis and Sacred Heart admissions and it looks like everybody showed up at the reception school meetings so there are no new places to be offered for now. We might have to wait until September to get a place, any place...

Also, a local parent told me that last week there were still about 30 children with no school place in the borough, and about half of those were on the Middx side.

londoniana Fri 29-Jun-12 14:35:35

@BushyTed

Yes I know... The council contacted me about it - it was a distance measurement error, we're actually 3rd on the HW list so down only one position.

BushyTed Fri 29-Jun-12 14:16:55

Think I'll get a job as reception school teacher. Part time for the entire first term with full time pay. Nice work if you can get it ! By the way Londoniana your movement down the HWI waitlist sounds odd as we are 10th and it hasn't moved for 2 weeks and only up 1 place in the last month...!

londoniana Fri 29-Jun-12 13:18:39

ps. I forgot something: I read some news recently but can't remember where: looks like for next year, government school funding will be based on October 2012 pupil count rather than on January 2013 pupil count, as it was until now. So this might force some schools to rethink their staggered admissions policies.

londoniana Fri 29-Jun-12 13:12:25

It's not only Richmond, there are other boroughs (some schools in Kingston, for example). I believe the simple answer is 'because they can'.

A friend of mine was given the option of starting in January just because her son is August-born. But that was an option.

Perhaps if people start requesting it, they will consider changing the situation... I'm all for it.

BushyTed Fri 29-Jun-12 11:21:29

Does anyone know why only Richmond does this 'part-time' first term for reception? Do they really think most kids have been at home with mum all day until they start school? My kids have been at nursery since 4/5months old so are well used to being away from me for the whole day. All sounds very 1950's if you ask me! I did ask this question at one fo the school open days and the response I got was a defensive 'but all Richmond schools do it' . So there you go...!

playgroup Tue 26-Jun-12 19:43:26

The school reception meeting are this month for HWI and Collis .Stanley early in July I belive.there should be more movement then as the schools have to call everyone who does not attend these meeting to see if they still want the place

playgroup Tue 26-Jun-12 12:35:09

Some news positive I did hear that some of the schools are going full time from september/October half term which should help with the child are issue.so far it is st Mary and st peters .
Bad new I know Collis cats is full but they only have a few places anyway
Hampton wick sessional care 12-3 is full be they may have before school and breakfast still available
The school meetings are this week so will post more info when get it

dilys4trevor Tue 26-Jun-12 10:48:37

londoniana, really feel for you on this. really hope you get a place.

londoniana Tue 26-Jun-12 10:38:45

Bad news. Just called them and we're now 3rd on Collis - there is a "special case" at the top of the list and another family who live closer to the school than we are. And we are 8th on Hampton wick sad that's 6 position down in two weeks, not sure how that one happened, probably they processed new late applications. And 20th on Stanley...

I asked about a bulge class and looks like there is no talk of that at this stage. And the lady I spoke with told me there haven't made any offers in June and probably won't be making any offers until late July.

sad

londoniana Tue 26-Jun-12 10:20:53

Two weeks ago we were 2nd on both Collis and H Wick and twenty-something on Stanley.

Teddersmum Tue 26-Jun-12 10:09:10

How frustrating for you, do you know what numbers you are on waiting lists at least?
Our neighbour told me last week, that her PTA friend at Collis seems to think they will be taking an emergency bulge class. Don't know how much truth is in it, have tried calling council, but answer machine message again.

londoniana Tue 26-Jun-12 09:42:37

We don't have a place yet. I emailed the council yesterday for an update but I haven't heard back from them yet. It's so frustrating, we can't make any plans for wraparound care.

Teddersmum Tue 26-Jun-12 08:14:11

Hi, Just wondering how everybody got on in the end? Those of you new to the area, have you been offered a place yet?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now