Late primary admission - what happens??

(132 Posts)
tangledtights Sun 12-Feb-12 16:50:10

We're moving down to the Teddington/Hampton area in June. HOORAY!! Its taken a year but DH has finally got himself a job and we can make the move. Completely gutted we've missed the primary admission deadline in January though and starting to panic about whether or not my daughter who is 4 in June will manage to get a reception place for September. Does anyone know what the process is for a late application?

We're thinking that we will rent whatever house we can get that is closest to one of the schools that we like. I have seen a couple of houses up for rent that are 0.07 miles away from one of the potential schools in Hampton (Stanley). How do waiting lists work? If we live closest does that mean that we go up the waiting list even if someone else is already on the waiting list but lives a bit further away?

How do you think I'm best finding out which of the primary schools in the Teddington/Hampton/Hampton Wick area are likely to have more space? If I can find this out, then I suppose the best thing would be to try and get a property next door to the school to try and get her a space.

What happens if she doesn't get a space in one of the local schools? Does anyone have any experience of this? How far out would she have to go and is it always to a school that isn't rated as well?

Sorry lots of questions but panic setting in. confused

thanks

Kass44 Wed 25-Apr-12 09:24:33

I am in Ferry road opposite Tide end cottage pub - several children in the road go to Collis but don't think I have a chance based on my measurements :-( would be happy with any school that is walking distance as I have a daughter as well about to start nursery at Asquith and I am going back to work and have to commute to London..all so stressful as I can't make any plans for wrap around care.

playgroup Wed 25-Apr-12 13:09:06

the best person to speak to is Mathew Paul head of schools commissioning in the borough.you can get him on email

m.paul@richmond.gov.uk

he needs to put more community places in teddington the more pressure we put on him the better

LucyCamille Wed 25-Apr-12 13:42:17

Hi Kass, I think based on distance you are pretty similar to me, maybe a little closer depending on the routes they have worked out for you? We are on Cambridge Road, a bit before Manor Road.

On the plus side you are closer to HWI than us and from what staff at the school have said they regularly have 20 places which come available at the start of term? Walking-wise, that would probably be a better choice for you than stanley, but its the other direction to Asquith?

Thanks Littlemiss, no little ones yet but hope of one on the horizon soon so definietly something to bear in mind.

We'll just have to see where we are on the list on the 8th, maybe they will be able to judge at that point whether there will be a need for a bulge class somewhere - they have added one at Hampton Infants already, my friend has been offered one of the places.

Londoniana you are going to be very close when you move and will go straight in at the top of the list! smile Its a shame you might not be in before 1st June but the lists are managed by the Council until September anyway so I would have thought if a place comes available you will get it straight away.

Stanley is not too bad a choice for us because a certain grandmother has been a great help since I went back to work and she lives not far from there, we'll just have to see how things pan out over the next few months. Based on the area between us (Kass) and the last place given, I think there will be a fair few above us on the list! If you get offered a place at Stanley accept and hang on in there on Collis - it can't hurt and you never know what might happen (no matter how unlikely)

natalies0301 Wed 02-May-12 11:47:45

Has anyone had any further news on the situation yet? Getting really nervous now and worrying that we will have a very long, anxious summer! Is it likely that the LEA will put pressure on Collis to accept a further class at this late stage?
Apparently some of the church schools are expecting their waiting lists at the end of this week.

playgroup Wed 02-May-12 12:52:11

The waiting list are not released until 8 may as apparently they have to contact everyone who has not responded due to every child matters agenda. .
I would suggest you contact Mathew Paul via email if you have not done already regarding community bulge class.

playgroup Wed 02-May-12 13:22:40

just heard they have added a bulge at east sheen primary

Kass44 Wed 02-May-12 13:45:53

I find in infuriating that parents who have not responded by the deadline are contacted directly, effectively in priority over parents like myself who have not got either of my children into any school never mind preferences despite filling in the forms on time and picking the 5 closest schools to me! if they didn't respond by the deadline then they should go onto the waiting lists as I have to! Probably unfair but this waiting is taking its toll I need to organise wrap around care for the boys on the days I work and a nursery for my baby daughter as I return to work from maternity leave in August - I can't do any of that until I know where my boys will get sent

playgroup Wed 02-May-12 14:09:59

Admissions also said they do not receive the data from the pan London website until tomorrow and i guess only then will they know what the situation is.

I know i agree no response no place but it is for child protection reasons .

tangledtights Wed 02-May-12 14:42:12

that's awful kass, how stressful.

We are hopefully about to finalise a rental property in hampton wick. I can't get through to admissions. Does anyone know what proof we need to go on the waiting list and do we need to be actually living in the property to go on the list? Unsure whether or not to move earlier than we had planned if that's what we need to do.

londoniana Wed 02-May-12 14:58:30

tangledtights, I managed to get in touch with admissions mostly via email. They are slow to respond. If you give me your email address I will send you the admission form they sent me to fill out, and also what they said to me.

Essentially, they want the admission form completed and a proof of your move - either tenancy agreement or contract of sale. In our case, because we already applied for a reception place in Ealing where we live, I have to contact both councils.

They said they will only take into consideration the date you are actually moving into the property, that's when you go on the wait list. In our case we get the keys on 25 May (that is the date on the contract of sale) and move on 1 June, so they said they will place us on the wait list on 1 June. I believe a week or two different is unimportant, but they probably want to make sure you don't get the place say in June and only move in September, or something like that.

tangledtights Wed 02-May-12 17:27:24

hi londonania, thanks very much. That would be great if you could email me the form. I guess they're a bit inundated at the moment. I shall try and PM you!

By the time we get the paperwork sorted out, it'll probably be mid May and then planning on moving down the last week of May. I wonder if we will need to have a council tax bill as evidence as well or if the lease agreement will be enough? Maybe I should try and sort that out in time as well. Fingers crossed for all of us!

tangledtights Wed 02-May-12 19:07:22

londonania, are you set up to receive PM's? I think I am. Could you try sending one to me as I can't send one to you. Doesn't take much to confuse me!

londoniana Wed 02-May-12 19:31:42

I don't know smile

Here's the link to the application form:
http://www.2shared.com/document/MpaZuyWe/primary_application_form_2012_.html

They don't need council tax bill - tenancy agreement is fine. (I asked about that because we were considering renting if our purchase didn't go through for whatever reason).

These are excerpts from the email I received:

"I am not able to determine at this stage, which school you have the best chance of getting into as our wait lists will not be ready until after the 8th May. Please note that we will not be able to consider offering a school place until you are physically resident in your new home."

Kass44 Fri 04-May-12 18:32:32

Just spoken to a lovely lady in admissions however she informed me that the waiting lists would probably not be available until towards the end of next week as they are only half way through preparing them today.

Devora Fri 04-May-12 19:52:44

You must be really stressed out sad. Hope you get good news soon.

natalies0301 Tue 08-May-12 08:37:02

So just called admissions and the waiting list will not be available until Thursday 10th. More waiting...

tangledtights Thu 10-May-12 09:22:36

Hi, so today's the day the waiting lists are compiled? Does anyone know if these are made public or is it only for those who are on it. Good luck to everyone.

Teddersmum Thu 10-May-12 09:45:52

Hi, I am new to this site.
We live 740 metres from Collis, offered no place at any local school! Anyway we called admissions 2 days back and were told we are number 20 on Collis list, 25 Hampton Wick.

tangledtights Thu 10-May-12 10:24:28

Hey Teddersmum, I hope that's enough for you to get in with the movement over summer. You're so close, its really unbelievable. Out of interest, how far away are you from HWI as that is the school we are hoping to get into? We've already got a rental property sorted but I still don't know how far the official measurement is. Good luck and here's hoping there's a mass exodus over summer.

lizzylu Thu 10-May-12 11:05:34

Tangled, my understanding is that you need to call to find out your waiting list status, I have tried a few times this morning and straight to voicemail. Am interested if anyone without a school place (which is the position we are in for DS) has received an offer in the second round??

Kass44 Thu 10-May-12 11:17:20

Just had my positions on the list Collis which is my closest school 45/46, hampton wick 17/18 and stanley 19/20.....not looking good it is going to be a long summer now considering trafalgar which is literally miles away! and in answer to lizzylu no offer for any school at all still not second offer ;-(

Teddersmum Thu 10-May-12 12:22:13

We are around 2000 metres from Hampton Wick.
Still no offer of any school been offered to us, seems to me like a Collis needs to take a bulge class.
It's such a horrible unsettled feeling all this waiting sad

playgroup Thu 10-May-12 12:30:32

total nightmare they must know now whether there will be movement on the list or not due to number of declines.
what do they think people are going to do go private? i guess that what they must be hoping.
we just have to keep badgering Mathew Paul

playgroup Thu 10-May-12 12:45:58

cut offs 2012 were
HWI 1157 unbelievable since they are taking 30 extra children and last years was 1011 with 60 bulge class was offered after 1st round
collis 658
stanley 1809

londoniana Thu 10-May-12 12:50:12

Did anyone ask how many children are currently with no school place in Teddington?

I believe in Richmond-upon-Thames there were 160 in total or something like that, at the initial allocation stage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now