commute from Teddington to Luton? Nightmare??

(16 Posts)
laymizz Thu 29-Sep-11 16:02:24

Hello lovely ladies,

I've posted this in a couple of places but I'm really hoping someone can help me out. We're hoping to move down to Teddington as we really miss it down there. We're in Edinburgh at the moment and I've had enough of the cold!

My DH had a call today about a job in Luton. Does anyone know what the commute would be like driving from Teddington to Luton at normal commuting times. He would need to jump on the M25. I checked it out on multimap, and it reckoned it should take 53 minutes. I think anything more than 1 hour 15 minutes is a deal breaker.

Thanks!

vbus Thu 29-Sep-11 21:14:53

hello

It takes Dh 35mins to go from Teddington to Jnc 18 M25 in the morning. He thinks it may take 1hr 10 for your DH but depends where in Luton he'd be working. Hope that helps!

laymizz Fri 30-Sep-11 07:45:58

thanks very much vbus. Just inside the limit, so still a possibility!

hester Fri 30-Sep-11 07:58:48

Any journey worth it to live in Teddington smile

laymizz Fri 30-Sep-11 13:09:44

haha, I agree Hester. Itching to move down!

SootySweepandSue Fri 30-Sep-11 14:39:14

Personally I would not do it. I think travel planners always show best case so I would add 30mins, call it contingency and see if that's do-able.

I've had a 15 min commute and a 1.5 HR commute in different roles (google said 55mins) and I would honestly say that the 15 min commute was worth £10k on your salary. At least.

vbus Fri 30-Sep-11 18:31:48

It takes 45/50min to reach M1 if you leave early so it depends how far into Luton you have to go. If the traffic's moving then it's fine but M25 can be unpredictable especially if there's been an accident hmm At least you'd be driving in opposite direction to main flow of traffic and there are plenty of alternative non m'way routes if you get stuck. Teddington is lovely smile

Gigondas Fri 30-Sep-11 18:35:38

I would be cautious too as you have to go past the m25 bit around heathrow - i think an hour is a fairly generous as could be more like 2 hrs.

Gigondas Fri 30-Sep-11 18:36:34

Have you thought about harpenden? Know lots of people who live there and I think schools way of life nice ..

laymizz Fri 30-Sep-11 20:06:25

thanks ladies. I guess the only way to find out would be to come down and try it out. If DH gets an interview then he can do a test run.

Gigondas - we've been down a few times looking at places outside of London and nowhere cuts it for us quite like Teddington! Near enough to be in London but far enough out to have its own community, gorgeous parks, river etc etc. Never been to Harpenden though, I'm sure its lovely. We looked at Guildford/Tunbridge Wells/St Albans as a potential but they were just too small. Teddington Rocks grin

hester Fri 30-Sep-11 22:35:14

And the schools, laymizz, the schools... And just think, you could meet me and vbus for coffee grin

laymizz Sat 01-Oct-11 14:24:50

Perfect! Hurry up manshape and get thee a job! Need to get down by mid January to get those school applications in. Fingers and toes crossed. grin

vbus Mon 03-Oct-11 14:27:20

Laymizz - just to let you know we did drive to Luton on Saturday and it took 52mins. Admittedly it was wkend but DH still sticks by his 1hr 10min during the week estimation!

Hester - let me know when you want to go for coffee? smile

hester Mon 03-Oct-11 17:36:00

Ooh yes, vbus - how about tomorrow?

vbus Tue 04-Oct-11 19:35:32

Hester - sorry I only just saw this but couldn't have made it today anyway. Are you free Fri am instead? Or is next week better for you?

laymizz Tue 04-Oct-11 20:14:32

vbus - that's almost spot on with multimap timings. I hope you were visiting Luton for a reason other than my DH's potential commute grin. Thanks for letting me know. Enjoy your coffee ladies! Hope to join you soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now