I am doing a research proposal on nurseries for my university course and I am looking for help.

(7 Posts)
orangesrule Sat 04-Jun-11 17:43:14

I am doing a research proposal for my university course and I am looking for help.

The research I am looking to do is about what parents look for in the nursery they chose for their child, why and its importance. I understand location, Ofsted, travel links and parking are high on the list but what else? I am a mum myself and have my own thoughts but would like some other mums input. Also I would be interested in what turns you off a nursery.

Any general comments would be gratefull. to help me on my way..

Thanks.

ThoraNogson Wed 08-Jun-11 12:12:18

Location is key, also the atmosphere - are the children cuddled etc, do they seem happy? Do they have friends who go there? What are the staff like? Are they responsive/warm/open?

BugsAndButterflies Wed 22-Jun-11 17:47:08

I had a bad experience at my child's first nursery (see my post here). I switched to a nursery that had lots of good feedback from friends. When I went to look round it I made sure I talked to the person who was responsible for recruiting staff (because all nurseries seem to have such a high turnover) to try and find out what they looked for in their recruits. She impressed me with her answer, that they looked for calmness and maturity (age wasn't important, but attitude was) and that they observed all potential staff interacting with children as part of the interview process. That gave me confidence that they aimed to recruit staff with a good aptitude for the role rather than just relying on the 'extensive training' offered by the previous nursery, which isn't always enough.

orangesrule Sun 26-Jun-11 14:08:47

Thank you for your replies.

Becauseiamworthit Mon 27-Jun-11 01:57:15

Hi orangesrule, in addition to what you, TN and BandB have said, I think the opening times, for example if you work until 5 or 6' then chances are that a day nursery that finished at about 6.30 / 7pm would be better suited than one that finished earlier in the day say around midday.
The notice period too, my DD was in a nursery that required a clear term's notice. So if you wanted to leave in January you need to have informed them by August at the very latest, so that there is a clear term in between, from September to December. And the penalty was to pay a full term's fees. Needless to say this was a nightmare and we moved her to one with a months notice.
Also flexibility for additional sessions, if they are willing to allow one off additional sessions. My DDs current nursery allows you bring the kid in if you call up before and there is a space and you simply get invoiced at the end of the month. This was invaluable for those times when I really needed cover for her unexpectedly and couldn't find any.
If the staff actually appear to get on / like each other. It may sound trivial but in some nurseries you may sometimes sense some tension.
The availability of outside space for children to play like a big garden or play area.
The daily routines set out for the children
Also look on mumsnet for firsthand reviews smile

Hope this helps, if I think of anymore will drop you a line.

lililolo Tue 12-Jul-11 19:58:41

I didn't use nursery as a daycare facility, only for pre-school type facilities, but I was very PFBish about it!

I spoke to a few nurseries and wanted one that had a good vibe, garden and a manager who I found approachable and kind. I think I made a really good choice, I've been really happy with it while a lot of my friends are a bit meh about their nurseries. Obviously I was lucky that I didn't HAVE to send her, I just wanted to because she was coming to an age where she was ready to do stuff away from the home and I wanted to build her confidence with other children (she was 3 when she started).

The thing I love best about the nursery is that the manager finds the children really funny and she employs people who love the children too.

Parking etc. were secondary to me, but i suppose I had the luxury of not necessarily being in a rush when I dropped her off.

PirateDinosaur Tue 12-Jul-11 20:05:40

Outside space, good food, interaction between staff (all staff including management) and children, what the older children at the nursery are like, low staff turnover rates. Practically speaking, opening times were important too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now