Moving to Teddington with a 6 + 8 year old - school advise please!

(16 Posts)
dude Thu 20-Jan-11 13:19:45

Hi

We're hoping to move to Teddington from "nappy valley" as soon as we sell our house. I heard that Collis and Hampton Wick are great, have we got any chance of getting them into a good primary/junior school when they are already 6 and 8? Are there other schools we should be aiming at as well?

Planning further on is Teddington School as good as it looks and are there some primary/junior feeder schools to Teddington secondary which don't get the kids in?

Got to admit i'm a bit concerned about whether I will ever make friends as the kids will be joining schools half way through - is there room for another mum?

Love Teddington but feeling slightly out of depth.

so grateful for any advise

Rachel

vbus Thu 20-Jan-11 13:47:26

Hello

The above schools are both excellent and as expected currently oversubscribed. That doesn't mean necessarily that you won't get a place as I know parents who have moved to the area and got places.

Both schools are also linked to Teddington school. They've just recently invested a shed load of money into Tedd school and rebuilt it so the facilities are excellent. Don't know much else about school as my eldest is 5 at HW so a bit of way off for me, but neighbour's son is 13yr and she really likes the school. Stats are pretty good for the borough and unless you're thinking of going private or Tiffin route it's the obvious choice for most of the kids round here.

Probably best to visit & speak to schools in the area and get a feel for which ones you like and assess your chances. Don't know where in Teddington you're planning on living but bear in mind catchment area. Some parts of Tedd fall in Stanley School catchment area. HW feeds into St John's for jnrs (just a bit further on) so you need to consider that whereas Collis infanct/jnrs all together. HW is smaller and has much more of a personal feel about it. It suited my DS1 personality better and he loves it there.

There are also some good religious schools too but we didn't consider them so I can't comment on what they're like.

Join in the chat here, the more the merrier smile

LottieProsser Thu 20-Jan-11 21:05:57

Hi

I've got a daughter in Year 5 at Collis and she's been really happy there since age 4 despite being quite a shy only child. HW is also really good. St Mary's and St Peter's seems a less happy place at present due to expansion work but I'm sure things will settle down. I've also got a lot of friends with children at Teddington School and all are very happy at it - so much so that we haven't even thought about sending our daughter anywhere else. Only word of caution is that Teddington School is now so popular that your children will have to be in one of the linked schools and you will have to live fairly nearby - if you go too far towards Hampton Hill or Twickenham you won't get in anymore so it's a bit of a logistical challenge. You won't have any trouble making new friends here so long as you are sociable and join in things so don't worry about that!

dude Wed 26-Jan-11 21:39:07

Thanks for replying. I spoke to a lady at the council who was incredibly pessimistic about getting them in to a Teddington school and said at present we would have to travel 4 miles to get them in to the only available spaces. May have to rethink - it just sounds like too much of a risk.

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 19-Feb-11 17:54:39

I thought the linked school bit didn't happen any more, and that several Collis children were offered HCC last year. Or is that an urban myth? It will be interesting on March 1st to see what happens this year.

Dommy Sun 20-Feb-11 19:17:12

Dude what did the LEA woman say - That your DCs would not get into Teddington? Your dcs are young enough to get into the local feeder schools aren't they, is it that there are no places at the feeders?

RatherBeOnThePiste Sun 20-Feb-11 21:17:40

I don't think 'feeders' exist anymore. I think it's proximity.

lividbeyondbelief Sun 20-Feb-11 22:48:54

Feeder schools still exist, but due to the popularity of Teddington secondary, distance also matters when offers are made. So for example if a child goes to Collis but lives nearer Fulwell they would have been offered HCC.

hester Sun 20-Feb-11 23:51:00

vbus, I moved to Teddington last year and applied for a reception place as a late applicant. I talked to the Council several times and found them cordial, but not very informative and very pessimistic. When I talked to the schools directly, they were full of information and very helpful. So I would try that. Especially the admissions officer at Hampton Wick (I think she is the deputy head): she was fantastic, so helpful and friendly.

(My dd did actually get a place at Collis, which she loves. I would also have been more than happy to get a place at Hampton Wick, which seems a great little school.)

I too have heard the rumours that Stanley School may stop being a feeder to Teddington School, though I've also seen official letters denying this. If Teddington School does get more popular - and it seems to be heading that way - it can't hurt to try to make sure you're in one of the two nearest schools, which are Collis and ST John the Baptist.

I can't believe you won't make friends if you move here - everyone is so friendly, it's a real community. If you have any trouble, just PM me and I'll take you out for coffee with some really nice mums smile

hester Sun 20-Feb-11 23:51:57

Sorry, I meant to address that to dude, not vbus...

mammapasta Sat 16-Apr-11 00:52:38

My daughters just got in to HWick but am worried by the results at St John The Baptist. Does anyone know anyone there and whether it actually is a good school? Thanks!

vbus Wed 20-Apr-11 15:45:51

Hi

TBH I haven't heard anything bad about the school, it has an 'outstanding' ofsted rating (I think it was 'good' several years ago). A couple of DS1 friend's siblings go there and parents seem very happy with school. You could always visit/speak to the school if you have any specific concerns. HTH

BayJay Sat 30-Apr-11 15:51:51

All Richmond Borough parents need to be aware that the council is looking to make some significant changes to Secondary Schools over the coming years, which could impact existing schools, so check out the thread: "New Secondaries for Richmond Borough" and join the debate. The council will hopefully listen to parents' views, but we can only engage in the process if we know what's going on.

clairelin Mon 29-Apr-13 13:55:44

My daughter has just moved to Teddington and cannot get her 8yr old son (year 3) into Collis or St Marys and St Peters as no places so he is staying with me and I am driving him to his old school everyday. Its hard though as apart from the 48 miles I am doing there,back,there back everyday he is really missing his mum. She cant take him to his old school as its too far. There is a place at St John the Baptist. Does any mum out there know this school?

Teddyking1 Mon 29-Apr-13 19:10:41

It is rated ofstead outstanding.
It is in a quiet location and supposed to be very good.Lovely kids from what I can see all my neighbours kids go there.Snap it up whilst it is still available .
There is also Stanley primary .

BayJay2 Tue 30-Apr-13 06:06:37

Hi clairelin. As this is a very old thread, its probably worth pointing out that the linked admission system mentioned in some of the earlier comments is no longer in place. Teddington School, and all the other community secondaries in the borough, now admit children on distance only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now