moving to south woodford - advice on schools please? :)

(5 Posts)
justimmy Sun 22-Mar-15 15:31:32

Hi!

With a little bit of luck, I will be moving to South Woodford with my two children (age 4 & 7) this summer. I am a single mum and we are coming all the way from Devon, so it's a big change! I was just wondering if anyone could offer advice re schools & places to go in the area. I have a few friends in London but I'd love to meet some 'mummy' friends!

The two nearest primaries to us will be Snaresbrook and Nightingale. Ofsteds both look good but I would LOVE to hear from parents whose children attend these schools.

Thank you! smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 03-Apr-15 21:59:01

I don't what the situ is with moving into a school beyond Reception, but I'd talk to Redbridge about waiting lists. They are probably long for the 7 year old. I was told 83 at Nightingale for Reception year from those that aren't near enough. Buy/rent a home as near as you can to the school you want, it will help you get to the top of the list.

Competition for London schools places is fierce...

On a more positive we are v happy with Nightingale. Son is in Yr2. There is a new Head, but she seems to bringing a new energy etc.

I also know Snarebrook parents. They are also happy. It went through a rocky period recently, but the issues are being addressed.

Basically, there are very few issues with most schools in Redbridge. The main barrier it spaces. I would investigate before you decide on where you will move to.

I have lived in S Woodford since 2001 and I love it.

There are a couple of v active Facebook Groups - Wanstead Mums & Bumps & Woodford, South Woodford and Wanstead Mums - join up and ask any questions there.

Hope your move goes smoothly. smile

justimmy Fri 03-Apr-15 22:17:21

Thanks so much, that's really encouraging! I am worried about the school places yes, we won't be moving until the beginning of the summer holidays and I believe I won't be able to apply for places until we are actually resident in the borough... have I got that right? And thanks for the tips for the mummy groups. I do have friends in london but i have zero mummy friends, so it would be wonderful to meet some smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 03-Apr-15 23:00:09

I don't know much about applying for places beyond Reception - sorry - but I would call the Admissions Dept at Redbridge. They should be able give you a sense of waiting lists. Getting v close to the school is key!

There is lots to do around here.

Good luck with the move.

hellohowareyou Fri 04-Dec-15 11:15:58

Hi
Just seen your post. We are in a similar situation and just wanted to know if you managed you get a place at the school...thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now