Will my family fit in?

(13 Posts)
ggwhite Mon 26-Oct-09 00:14:34

hi all,

im new to mumsnet and in 6weeks new to reading. im moving from bournemouth so that my children grow up in a multi cultural area that is safer than london. i have two boys aged 5 and 21mths and a 4mth old daughter. please can anyone give me advice on the following(were moving to audley rd off oxford road)

*is reading safer than london
*are there any good primary schools in the area
*are there any racist areas that should be avoided
*finally, sorry for the long list wink is there anyone in this area with who could show me around.

thank you

f1nut Mon 26-Oct-09 11:10:56

hiya i moved to reading 2 years ago frm london and have to say i love it, will never move back.
i myself live in caversham, have 2 friends that live oxford road area and they like it although has been in news a fair bit because of knife crime (hope doesnt scare you) but to be honest all places have there good areas and bad, think alot are rumours.

regarding schools, not to sure to be honest, i have a daughter who starts secondary school next sept and b4 i started looking around i had all these pre-conceived ideas that where based on rumours and ofstead reports, i had completly discounted prospect school (off oxford road) as id herd its realy rough but after veiwing i was very suprised, its a very up and coming school, excellant facilities, was very pleased, so goes to show u shouldnt judge b4 actually being there and seeing for yourself.

i sometimes attend the rhyme time at battle libary and breastfeeding group which are great, plus u also have softplay which is local not to mention ur not far from reading town and we have some great shops

BornToFolk Mon 26-Oct-09 11:24:08

I live in the Oxford Road area and I love it. You do see the occasional dodgy thing (like DP getting chatted up by a prostitute on the way home from a night out grin) but I feel very safe walking around here and there's a great community spirit and it's very multicultural.

There is lots going on. As f1nut said, there's rhymetime at Battle Libray, which is great - really popular. You should also loo up the Oxford Road Children's Centre. They have tons of stuff going on. If you are on Facebook, look them up as they'll send you reminders about events etc.

Not sure about schools as DS is only two but my sister went for a job at Oxford Road primary and was generally quite impressed with it but said they don't have much room to play outside.

ggwhite Mon 26-Oct-09 14:54:23

thank you f1nut and borntofolk, your advice has really put me at ease. its great hearing from other mums in the area. i cant wait to move and settle in.

PoisonToadstool Mon 26-Oct-09 15:13:39

Hi ggwhite, I have lived in Reading for most of my life and I don't think it's that bad here - I lived in Newcastle for a while which was a very friendly place on the surface but dig a little deeper and you'd find a lot of prejudice. So I don't have much to compare it too.

I think the people here are okay, it depends where you go and what you're after really. There's a couple of good toddler groups not far from you and as mentioned the library is brilliant.

ggwhite Mon 26-Oct-09 18:08:21

Thank you poisontoadstool. I will definately try the library. Its so difficult trying to find the right area, afterall all areas are both good and bad. When visiting Reading I really liked the vibe and I suppose that really counts.

PoisonToadstool Mon 26-Oct-09 18:18:21

Are you really moving here from Bournemouth just for a change? I'd love to live in Bournemouth! I don't really know what it's like though I must admit.

Netmums have a good listing of things like toddler groups, soft play etc. Do you drive? Not that you need to... I think the bus service is improving and it sounds like you'll be within walking distance of most things for the younger children.

ggwhite Mon 26-Oct-09 20:35:26

no i dont drive yet. Bournemouth is good, just not for us. ive lived there for 22 yrs and it still is not multi cultural. we've all suffered racism and my sons would literraly be 1 of the 2 black children in a class in all the schools. the sad fact is we cant live in a quite coastal area that has more than a few other multicultural families.

PoisonToadstool Mon 26-Oct-09 20:43:14

ggwhite I am so sorry you have suffered from racism. I sincerely hope you never have to experience it here.

Reading has its problems and its worse areas and nicer areas but I would always consider it a diverse and positive place.

f1nut Mon 26-Oct-09 21:58:06

ggwhite hope you have a good move and settle in well, reading is great (in my opinion) check out netmums theres lots to do in the area, also im the reading netmums chairmum for meetups, we have our first next week so bit to soon for you but do come along to a meet once youve moved xx

ggwhite Mon 26-Oct-09 22:22:17

poisontoadstool and f1 nut thank you for your positive comments. we really cant wait to have a new start...so excited. i will definatly come to a meet up. ive found mumsnet so helpful...wish id joined sooner x

MrsJamin Tue 27-Oct-09 12:49:25

I live off the Oxford Road (have one DS, nearly 2). It's a good area actually, I've come to like it - best things about it are Battle Library and Workhouse Coffee shop - it's a haven of tranquility amongst the bustle of the Oxford Road. It's sad that you've had to move away from Bournemouth because of racism, no-one should need to do that. I think you'll find a home in Reading though

ggwhite Tue 27-Oct-09 15:43:33

thanks mrsjamin for your kind words, really do look forward to making a home for my family in reading smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now