independent girls' secondary schools

(11 Posts)
fishperson Sun 12-Oct-08 08:17:42

We're relocating to SW of London and once we get a school sorted then we'll find the house.

Could anyone give me their opinion about the reputation of Sir William Perkins' School in Chertsey, Surbiton High and Luckley Oakley School in Wokingham please?

I've visited the schools, read reports, studied results etc, but would also like locals' opinions about the general feel/reputations of the schools. DD is bright but a little lacking in confidence, and rather quiet. Important to find somewhere she'll fit in. Also, we're not "posh"!! Many thanks.

Jammer Mon 20-Oct-08 12:17:02

Hi

I don't know any of these schools - sorry. Good luck!

galaxymummy Tue 21-Oct-08 13:39:59

My daughter goes to st josephs convent reading in yr 9
We are not posh too
Lovely school good results good for the able but quieter child small school good at sport drama and excellent for music
Tel 0118 9661000
have open evening on thursday
is a convent school but not overly religious
hth
penny

galaxymummy Tue 21-Oct-08 13:40:36

ps luckley oakfield is posh if you want boarding try leighton park

RustyBear Tue 21-Oct-08 14:10:13

I wouldn't really describe Luckley Oakfield as very posh, we have had a few girls go there from our state junior - they are mainly bright girls who didn't get into the very competitive Kendrick state grammar in Reading, but are able to pass Luckley's own entrance exam.

galaxymummy Tue 21-Oct-08 22:16:01

Luckley oakfield fees £4000 per term
st jo's £3500
Ok rusty maybe not so posh maybe I am old fashioned thinking schools that play polo posh
anyway fish hth

fishperson Thu 23-Oct-08 11:26:08

Thanks very much for your comments - they all go towards building up a picture of what the school is like. I guess polo is posh but at least it's optional!!

Milliways Thu 23-Oct-08 18:43:07

My friends daughter has just left Luckley - and she loved it. A very caring environment (but Posh uniform grin )

Fwiw, I used to know the old headmaster, and he was fab, but retired some years back so no idea what the staff are like know.

If you want the other extreme, Hemdean House in Caversham is VERY small (and cheaper than The Abbey, St Jo's or Luckley). A friend of mine went there and loved it as she hated crowds, but others find it much too small.

northbound Wed 29-Oct-08 12:22:09

I went to Luckley as a boarder a million years ago and had a fantastic time. It wasn't at all posh, although it was quite Enid Blyton, and a lot of the girls were from a forces background. I note it has come up massively in the league tables in the last few years so it must be doing something right on the academic side. I suspect the polo is there to provide variety in the activities on offer rather than as evidence of the kind of girl who goes there. Hope that helps a bit.

fishperson Sat 01-Nov-08 08:13:21

Thanks very much for all your comments!

pastoralacademia Fri 30-Sep-11 13:42:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now