Caversham for a non-driver

(5 Posts)
toomuchcouchgrass Sun 08-Jan-17 11:13:17

Please can anyone who knows Caversham advise me? My non-driving daughter plans to move there with her partner. She’s found a possible house on an estate near Caversham Park, but will need to get her 2-year-old daughter to her nursery in Reading which she hoped to do via the Pink 23 bus. The estate has no pavements. How dangerous is it to walk along the edge of the road (toddler is a bolter, so on a strap)? i.e. how busy are estate roads round there? (you can get unsafe drivers anywhere).

Also I saw a new pedestrian-cycle bridge has opened between Caversham and Reading but the BBC reported that Reading Cycling Campaign 'hoped that so many cyclists would use it that it would "dissuade pedestrians" and "become a cyclists' bridge”’. I was recently knocked down and hurt by a pavement cyclist in Liverpool. Has anyone tried walking across this bridge?

Thanks!

HippoInAtutuAndTapShoes Sun 08-Jan-17 11:57:25

I grew up in Caversham although not Caversham park. I also now work in Caversham. Not far from Caversham Park. I can't pretend to be an expert on that particular area but I have friends and colleagues who live/grew up there and lack of pavements has never been an issue.you colleague who has lived there her whole life said they just learned correct road sense eg walking against the traffic.

As for the footbridge... I walk over it a lot in the summer. I find my self no more likely to be knocked over by a cyclist than I am anywhere else in the town.

toomuchcouchgrass Sun 08-Jan-17 12:05:03

Thanks Hippo, that sounds reassuring! It's very quiet where I live so I wasn't sure how different it might be.

AnneInReading Sun 08-Jan-17 20:01:29

The pedestrian / cycle bridge is fine, well used by both pedestrians and cyclists.

toomuchcouchgrass Mon 09-Jan-17 08:38:31

Many thanks Anne. Good news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now