Moving to Reading

(14 Posts)
mumdk Thu 06-Nov-14 23:38:14

Help!
I are relocating to Emmer Green (Reading) in Dec. I haven't had the opportunity to explore the area and was wondering if you mummies could help. Is it a nice area to raise a 1 year and a 3 year old? Thoughts on Emmer Green primary school ? Any good nurseries (or have i missed the boat for this year?) play areas? things to do? local shopping?

Many thanks

PS We aren't yet committed to living in Emmer Green - so if you think we should be considering a move somewhere else with decent access to Reading/London/ Thames Valley your thoughts also welcome!

mumdk Thu 06-Nov-14 23:43:52

we also have the option of a property near South Lake primary school. Thoughts please

Janey64 Fri 07-Nov-14 22:52:48

We moved to Cav Heights, so just across from Emmer Green when mine were little. It is a great area for children, the schools are good, lots of nurseries, pre-schools and childcare. Lots of good play areas. Shopping is either Budgens, with a really good chippy and a Chinese and a Dominoes or down in Caversham Centre with a Waitrose and lots of independent shops and cafes. The Oracle is a fab shopping centre in town. Then of course you have the river, a great place for a leisurely walk with the children to feed the ducks and swans. Near to the station and good motorway links to the rest of the country.
Really pleased we moved here, best decision we ever made.

mumdk Fri 07-Nov-14 22:53:49

thank you Janey64. I am feeling very nervous moving to a new area, not knowing anyone ...

mumdk Sun 09-Nov-14 09:19:07

heard the commute to the train station is a nightmare in rush hour .. is that true?

Chickette Sun 09-Nov-14 09:23:37

Best way to the station in the morning is to walk. Traffic across the bridges is unpredictable and parking at the station is very expensive.

mumdk Sun 09-Nov-14 15:44:46

how long a walk is it? do you know where i can find walking routes?

Chickette Sun 09-Nov-14 15:52:44

Best route is straight down Peppard Road, down Westfield Road, diagonally across Westfield Park, cross Gosbrook Road, through Christchurch Meadows to the river and across Reading Bridge to the station. It's 15 minutes from Westfield Park to the station, how long it takes to get to Westfield Park depends on where in Emmer Green you are.

Getting home though, I'd probably opt for the bus (number 24), as the walk is uphill all the way!

Maryparis Tue 11-Nov-14 09:27:53

Hello everyone!

I'm a single mother of a fantastic 8 years old boy, just relocated in UK (coming from Paris). I've arrived in Reading 3 weeks ago and now findind myself in a tricky and also desperate situation : I came here thinking that it would be easy (at least easier than in Paris or London) to find an accomodation provided I could pay the 3 months rent upfront, then register my son at school and thus find a job as a Logistics coordinator as I used to be in France.

But since our arrival and despite my numerous visits , I couldn't find any landlords that accepted to rent me a 1 bedroom flat (because I can't provide them with UK references or because a 1 bedroom flat is "not enough" with a child", according to them, etc...). And now after 3 weeks living in a appartment-hotel I have almost no money left, still can't work because I still can't get my son at school, a real vicious cycle!!!! Now I can't afford anymore to pay 3 months rent, but if somebody could help me as I'm really desperate, I'm a very hard working and geniune person, I just need somewhere to settle down for a while, get my son at school and start living a "normal life".

Many thanks,

Chickette Tue 11-Nov-14 13:28:30

Maryparis, I'm so sorry to hear the difficulties you are having. Finding accommodation to rent or buy in Reading is so hard because the area is so overpopulated. This allows the landlords to be really choosy. Unfortunately also, many landlords have insurance that requires them to put certain demands on the tenant regarding proof of income and ability to pay.

I would recommend you visit your local Children's Centre - there are 13 in the Reading area. They will be able to advise you of next steps regarding financial assistance, house hunting and education for your son. Good luck.

Maryparis Tue 11-Nov-14 21:43:41

Hello Chickette,
Thank you very much for your advices, I sent an email to the Katesgrove Children's Centre in the afternoon but still haven't received any reply.
Moreover I have contacted the Reading Community Welfare Rights Units and they asked me to come to see them tomorrow early morning.
I've also replied to a lot of roomates' offers in London (it seems that in that situation references are not essential) but every times I mentionned my son it was the same answser "no children are allowed"....

To be honest with you I'm getting scared because from saturday I won't have anywhere to go, I can't imagine that me and my son are almost homeless it's just sound crazy.......

Vic3333 Thu 13-Nov-14 18:37:44

As a mummy also with a 1 year old and 3 year old and living in Emmer Green if recommend the area. If you want to get into the catchment primary you will need to live no further than 0.4 miles from the school. Happy to answer any specific questions.

pinkstiletto Fri 05-Dec-14 21:03:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumdk Sun 28-Dec-14 15:48:36

Hello Vic3333
I have sent you a private message

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now