Move from Italy

(11 Posts)
martifromitaly Sat 25-Mar-17 08:51:04

Hello! In July I will move with my husband and our 7-month daughter in the Preston area because my husband will start working as a doctor in the hospitals of Blackburn and Burley. We have never been in that area and for this reason I ask advice to you. Where do you recommend us to live considering that we have a little girl and only one car ( which will probably be used by my husband to go to work)? We love to take long walks in nature but at the same time we would not be too isolated. Please help us! thanks a lot and sorry for my English, I'm trying to improve it

angeldiver Sat 25-Mar-17 22:24:45

Clitheroe is a very nice town and is between Blackburn and Burnley.
Good variety of shops, pubs and restaurants with easy access to the countryside.

martifromitaly Sun 26-Mar-17 08:30:21

thank you so much! we will take a look at Clitheroe definitely. but can you tell me something about Preston? Is it a beautiful city? Are there areas to avoid or prettier? Thanks again!

angeldiver Sun 26-Mar-17 13:01:05

Preston is not particularly beautiful, no. I lived there for 16 years but was not born or bred there. I moved away because of the constant queues of traffic, amongst other things.
Unfortunately, there is a large expansion in housing and many of the remaining green spaces are disappearing to new estates.
If you are thinking of staying around long enough that your daughter will be schooling here, I would base your house choice round that.
The nice areas of Preston, with the added bonus of good schools are Penwortham and Fulwood. Fulwood would be better for your husband getting to the motorway.
Unfortunately, Preston traffic can be awful and a motorway accident can gridlock the whole of Preston as people try to avoid the motorway. It happens on at least a monthyly basis.
North of Preston, there is Garstang and Lancaster which are very nice and close to the countryside.
If you do start looking at houses, message me the area and I will give you my honest opinion.

martifromitaly Wed 29-Mar-17 08:36:48

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll let you know as soon as we will get to find homes for rent.

donquixotedelamancha Thu 18-May-17 20:39:45

In many ways Preston is a lot like Florence. Except without the art, architecture, sun, pizza, pasta, bistecca alla fiorentina, aperitivo, culture and good coffee.

Nah, its really not that bad. There are nice public parks and good shops in town, it's relatively cheap, and has plenty going on for its size.

Its a little hard to be definite about where you want to live without more details:
Are you renting or buying? How important are schools? Do you want restaurants and shops or lovely countryside? How long a drive to work does hubby want?

If you want Preston itself then Lostock Hall, Bamber Bridge and Leyland are closest to the start of the M65. The Farrington side of Lostock Hall is lovely and much cheaper then Penwortham.

Shockers Mon 17-Jul-17 19:53:58

Clitheroe is really nice! Garstang is too. Preston is busy and probably has less community spirit in the new build areas than a market town would have.

To integrate your family into a community is probably easiest with a young child, which you have!

AtSea1979 Mon 17-Jul-17 22:07:39

martifromitaly have you moved yet? Where did you end up?

Daydream007 Fri 21-Jul-17 17:46:58

Have a look at Buckshaw Village Chorley near Preston. It has a lovely community feel and is great for young families. It has a railway station and is close to the motorway networks so is good for commuting.

Daydream007 Fri 21-Jul-17 17:48:14

Look at Whalley.

AtSea1979 Fri 21-Jul-17 19:05:35

I don't think the op is coming back. I agree Buckshaw is nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now