Moving miles away from home

(11 Posts)
jodiestep Tue 18-Aug-15 09:12:45

HI im going to be moving to Pembrokeshire and i know nobody. Are there any groups where mums can meet up and things like this. I have friends here and often meet up for play dates with them and there children but i am dreading not being able to do that when i move. I don't want to be stuck on my own doing things all the time when my partner is working. My daughter loves playing with children her age and it would be a massive shame for that to stop. thanks

moodywren Thu 20-Aug-15 00:52:20

Hi I am moving to Pembrokeshire too, whereabouts will you be? We are moving to Neyland. How old is your daughter? I have 6 kids, aged 1,4,6,8,10,14 so if she is around the same age would be happy to meet up once we are there.

em2017 Sat 04-Feb-17 15:28:04

Hi,

I've only just found this site! My husband and I have an 18 month little boy and we are thinking of moving to Wales, to the countryside! My husband's parent's recently built a house near Tenby, Pembrokeshire (and they were featured on Building The Dream!) and we love visiting. We want to get away from the pressures & costs of living in North London, Hertfordshire and build a better life. My husband hasn't been very well so we want to be somewhere calm and beautiful! We have already looked at some lovely houses with lots of land. I was just wondering if there are any mums still on here from Pembrokeshire? I would love to hear your advice on day nurseries, baby groups and fun things to do with children. It would be wonderful to make some new friends.

Looking forward to chatting with you!

Love Em x

Takver Sun 05-Feb-17 09:02:21

I live in Pembrokeshire, but I'm a long way from Tenby (north tip of the county) and have a teenager, so I'm not sure I'm much help!
Generally it's a great place for quality of life - so long as what you like is outdoorsy activities - but obviously jobs are a major issue. Do you have ideas about employment?

em2017 Mon 06-Feb-17 08:11:01

Hi Takver, Thanks for your message. Yes jobs are a big problem. My husband needs to find a job before we can move and there really aren't very many online. How did you guys deal with this issue - where/how did you find jobs etc. I have just started my own business from home www.pastpresentdvd.co.uk but as it's new I need to build up the orders. I won't be able to pay the bills on it just yet!
Please do stay in touch - I'm very grateful that you took the time to write to me, thanks

LostInWales Mon 06-Feb-17 08:15:19

<waves at Takver thinking we probably have mutual friends or our children know each other> not many of us up here!

Jobs are the main problem em2017. The majority of people I know have a few part time jobs. I've only got two so lagging really.

Takver Mon 06-Feb-17 12:37:20

We probably do LostInWales smile

It was kind of the other way around re. work for us em2017 - I run a land based mail-order business so what I need is land plus access to the postal service. We're here by accident really - we visited an intentional community and ended up living and farming there for 5 years before getting our own place (which probably tells you who I am if you do know me Lost!)

Unless you teach / are a doctor/nurse/dentist etc then 'proper' jobs don't really exist as such (unless in the oil industry / engineering? maybe something in milford haven?)

em2017 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:15:03

ok thank you for your advice..... we may have to put the moving idea on a back burner until my husband can find something x

LostInWales Tue 07-Feb-17 14:02:18

Actually Takver there are so many people round here like that it's great cover! My son has so many friends that live in communities or other alternative ways of living round here. It's either community trying to live off your own land, open your own business (either online or in an actual shop), social media or the police/medicine/education. Or the trades. Or your family farm (middle boys friends tend to boast about how many acres their dad owns instead of cars and stuff grin) I like staying with my friend up in Cardiff just so we can go out at lunchtime and stare at men wearing suits.

Takver Tue 07-Feb-17 16:48:26

YY - do they also have Instagram accounts with their tractors posed in fetching locations? grin
(That and having to fight autocorrect into submission when trying to text in a mangled version of two languages simultaneously . . . the joys of being a Welsh teenager . . .)

LostInWales Mon 13-Feb-17 22:06:09

I can't do Instagram anymore, if anyone else posts a picture of Parrog or Poppit with an interesting filter and the word 'blessed' I will explode. Also tractors grin

Wenglish texting with American auto-correct is the bane of the DS' lives! He was staying up at Brithdir Mawr at the weekend with his friends, I was so jealous. (totally outs herself)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now