Kidlington?

(12 Posts)
Northlondonmum1980 Thu 12-Jan-17 13:16:00

I've heard north Oxford is nice and read a little about Kidkington on this forum.
It's priced at the upper end of our budget and comfort range but I'm interested to see what it's like. Is it a posh area?
Are the schools good?
I've read about the new station which is a big plus.

I haven't been to Kidlington nor many areas of Oxford. I drove into Oxford city centre and found it looked rough but it could be also the wrong side of the city centre that I drove through.

From what I've heard from others, Oxford is meant to be nice.

Ninjasling Thu 12-Jan-17 21:50:20

It isn't at all posh! Lots of new houses and a reasonably useful village centre, with good access to Oxford.

Lots of young professionals buy first homes in Kidlington but there are lots of families and locals from my experience.

Sinkingfeeling Fri 13-Jan-17 00:54:03

Kidlington isn't remotely posh ... North Oxford on the other hand ...

Northlondonmum1980 Fri 13-Jan-17 09:21:15

What areas does north Oxford come under? I naively thought Kidlington was such!

I can imagine you need a hefty budget for it though?
Do you know of any alternative places in the vicinity or Oxfordshire area that you like?

Northlondonmum1980 Fri 13-Jan-17 09:22:40

We are late 30s to 40s so I can't call myself young nor in the first home category! wink

Ninjasling Fri 13-Jan-17 18:27:47

I guess it is north of Oxford, but definitely separate from Oxford! Woodstock is lovely. Yarnton is popular. It depends on what facilities you need smile

Northlondonmum1980 Fri 13-Jan-17 18:38:33

Thanks, I will look into Yarnton.

I want somewhere local to shops etc, primary school nearby but mostly looking at moving to a "good" area. You would think with the expanse of all of Buckinghamshire to Oxfordshire to choose from, that I would know what that is. But how do you tell until you visit each place?!

LikeTheShoes Fri 13-Jan-17 18:55:58

I would say North Oxford is anything inside the ring road from the Thames through Port Meadow to the Cherwell (although that leaves the no man's land around Cutteslowe) Kiddlington is from the Sainsbury's roundabout up.

North Oxford is very £££, lots of private schools and people move to the area for Phil and Jim's and Cherwell.

Yarnton, Wolvercote and Wytham are both nice and "villagey".

LikeTheShoes Fri 13-Jan-17 18:56:00

I would say North Oxford is anything inside the ring road from the Thames through Port Meadow to the Cherwell (although that leaves the no man's land around Cutteslowe) Kiddlington is from the Sainsbury's roundabout up.

North Oxford is very £££, lots of private schools and people move to the area for Phil and Jim's and Cherwell.

Yarnton, Wolvercote and Wytham are both nice and "villagey".

Northlondonmum1980 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:41:35

I had to look up what Phil and Jim's was lol but I know understand hehe.

Thanks for that explanation, can look at what prices they are in that area. My budget is around top end £600k.

DreamingofthePeaks Wed 18-Jan-17 20:00:10

Hi,

I was just wondering whether you had gained any other insight into Oxford areas as we are looking at that too with exactly the same budget.

We went to look at Thame today. It was lovely but I'm not convinced there is enough to do with a family in the local area. And by local I mean near by as opposed to Aylesbury or Oxford itself! It's a shame as Thame had a lovely high street and people were really friendly!

Phillpot12 Wed 18-Jan-17 22:07:29

Marston/Headington are family friendly areas on the edge of the city with easy of M40 etc not so familiar with Botley. Summertown is the most expensive area with private schools etc. Depend where you are working, commuting in to the city/in side the ring road can be pretty grim. How about renting first to check out the area?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now