Need to move soon, but where? Suggestions please

(5 Posts)
strawbie Tue 28-Jan-14 13:49:54

Hello,

We've recently sold our little house in Abingdon and need to move somewhere bigger. We really like Abingdon but just cannot afford the kind of house we want here and there is also hardly anything on the market.

There are 3 major factors we need to consider, 1) Good primary schools, 2) value for money and 3) commutable as my husband works in Oxford and we only have the one car. So we are looking at surrounding towns/villages, but just know too little about them. Does anyone have any suggestion for a family friendly place to live? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. x

LocalEditorOxford Tue 28-Jan-14 20:18:03

Wallingford has 3 excellent schools. Benson is a nice little village, but not sure what the school is like, Berinsfield is cheap and has a great school, but don't know what the community is like.

Some of the smaller villages around Didcot are lovely - places like East Hagbourne for example, and a bit cheaper usually so might be worth looking there. Not sure about the primary schools, but the secondary schools are excellent, so it bodes well!

Hope that's given you some ideas to work with smile

strawbie Wed 29-Jan-14 20:24:19

Thank you for your reply :-) That's helpful. I heard some good things about East Hagbourne, so I may go and have a little look around there. I like Wallingford but have heard that the commute to Oxford isn't great. However, a good community is very important. And so the search continues! Thank you again.

LocalEditorOxford Thu 30-Jan-14 07:51:54

Whereabouts in Oxford would he have to get to? I know some people who do Wallingford-Oxford (well, two, anyway) so I can ask them how they find it. Would it be car or public transport?

MrsAlwaysRight Fri 14-Feb-14 19:11:15

East Hagbourne is a lovely village but you will have to pay a premium for a village location. The primary school used to have a very good reputation but has recently been inspected and rated as requires improvement.

Didcot usually gets a bad rap but actually has good schools and facilities and the commute to Oxford would be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now