Secondary school help

(5 Posts)
mzdemeanour Fri 24-Jan-14 20:59:26

Hoping some of you Oxfordshire ladies can offer some advice on schools in south Oxfordshire. I am currently living in London but planning on moving probably to The Wallingford area when my DTs finish year 6.

I would prefer state education but would consider independent if there are no suitable state schools. My Ds is pretty bright and an academic all-rounder though not the sportiest of boys, my Dd is (currently) not so academic though loves reading, is very articulate and loves gymnastics and drama. Would prefer co-ed but am starting to think single sex might be better ...

Have heard good things (and some not so positive) about Wallingford School but need clueing up on other schools I should be considering.

TIA for any help/advice you can offer me.

MzD

LocalEditorOxford Sat 25-Jan-14 10:31:52

You should definitely look into some of the surrounding areas. I know there's an excellent all-girls' state school in Didcot, surprisingly named Didcot Girls' School, not sure about boys' state schools, but there's a boys' independent school in Abingdon called, also highly originally, Abingdon School. I've heard very good things about both of these, but hopefully some more people will pitch in smile

LocalEditorOxford Sat 25-Jan-14 10:34:05

PS - Wallingford has recently take on a new head. By all account the behaviour and reputation of the school has improved considerably, but I haven't heard about academic performance - it may be some time yet before the head's influence is felt. Worth doing some more asking, definitely.

mzdemeanour Sat 25-Jan-14 19:44:31

Thanks for your help. Anyone else got any ideas/advice?

LocalEditorOxford Sat 22-Feb-14 19:47:54

Hey - recently heard excellent reports of this school
King Alfred's Academy

It has outstanding Ofsted reports, seems to have a really good ethos and is mixed so both your kids could attend.

Hope this is a useful steer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now