New to Oxford - Need help with school uniforms

(9 Posts)
mlee Mon 02-Jan-17 17:45:33

We recently moved to Oxford and our boys - age 6 and 4 - will start a new school in mid-January. We are from abroad and are not used to school uniforms. We need someone to help us with sewing on the name labels for their school uniforms, including shirts, trousers, jackets, and more. Any advice on who provides this type of service is much appreciated. Thanks.

Oxfordy Mon 02-Jan-17 18:24:08

Hope you're enjoying Oxford so far! You don't need to bother with sewing; just go onto eBay and search for iron on name labels, and you can then order some with the boys' names on.

They're very quick and easy to do yourself.

Hope the boys have a happy start in school smile

olympicsrock Mon 02-Jan-17 20:00:38

I have a 5 year old at private school locally. I bought a fine sharpie permanent marker and write his name on the labels. Most people do this or use iron on. Sewing name tapes does not take long though. I would advise using a pen as well if you sew labels in as they are easy to cut out of expensive items like blazers.

mlee Mon 02-Jan-17 20:22:49

Thanks for the responses. The thing is that I've already bought the name labels that must be sewn on. I'm not a sewer at all and don't even have the needle and thread needed.

HamletsSister Mon 02-Jan-17 20:38:51

Wonder web.

Zimbolino Tue 03-Jan-17 08:19:58

Put an additional for help on dailyinfo.co.uk (local long-running website) to seek help? Or ask at your local laundromat - they usually have seamstresses too.

Zimbolino Tue 03-Jan-17 08:20:24

Ad, not additional.

OxfordshireMum Tue 03-Jan-17 12:17:22

Try Darn it and Stitch in the city centre - a tiny but helpful sewing shop. They might be able to help - or might be able to teach you how to do it for yourself.

Oxfordy Tue 03-Jan-17 13:01:36

Even if you've already bought them, it'll be easier, quicker and cheaper to buy iron on than trying to learn to sew, or pay someone else to sew them. However, a dry cleaners should be able to provide a sewing service. Ask them to show you how to do it, if the alterations person is there on site; it's a useful basic skill for buttons etc smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now