moving to oxford

(11 Posts)
younglady25 Wed 27-May-15 20:13:29

Hi everyone, I'm moving to Oxford in a couple of months to work in Headington and I've seen a couple of flats on Between towns road in Cowley - just wandering what people think about the area. I don't have any kids [yet], I'm just a young professional who trusts the opinions of mums more than google lol

raggiedoll Wed 27-May-15 20:22:28

Pros:
It's on the edge of the Florence Park area which is nice and close to the actual park.
It is v close lots of shops like Sainburys, TK Maxx, Boots and others.
It joins Iffley and Cowley Rds so easy bus transport into town.
An easy cycle ride to Headington too. Nearish ring road so easy to get out of town.
Closeish to bars restaurants of Cowley Rd.

Cons:
A bit of a through area - a busy road between places! On the edge of Flo Park area but the less nice edge IMO.
The shopping centre is a bit grim, tho getting better slowly.
School catchment not great(for future?)

All in all, if you're single and it's affordable it's probably ok but it's definitely not dream home land. If you're renting might be good to have it as a base then be able to think more broadly once you know the area more.

Hope that helps. Happy to offer tuppence-worth of anywhere else that comes up!

younglady25 Thu 28-May-15 23:37:11

Thank you so much Raggiedoll, that's all so useful! Yes I'm single, no plans for kids at least for a couple of years. I was thinking along the same lines: somewhere safe and affordable for the next year + easy commute to work. And then get to know Oxford better before looking for somewhere more permanent and thinking about school catchment etc.

Thanks again for the info on the area!

LeapingLizard Fri 05-Jun-15 06:51:30

Yes, great for transport. Various bus lines come together there. Can be loud late at night for that reason, esp right near the pub and all night Dominos Pizza. But that is true of many areas.

younglady25 Sun 07-Jun-15 23:56:05

Me again! Is Headington all good? I am now thinking of living closer to work. I hear avoiding woodfarm area is wise. Do people agree with this?

LeapingLizard Tue 09-Jun-15 00:32:09

"Headington" encompasses a very large and varied area. This is because people trying to flog houses in less desirable parts of northeast Oxford use the catch-all term Headington rather than being more specific!

It's somewhat more difficult to find a decent-priced flat in Headington than in Cowley because you're competing with the Brookes University students and the hospital staff.

Wood Farm is a former estate which now has a fairly large proportion of privately-owned houses and is therefore more mixed than many other estates. I think it's fine, but I've lived in areas much rougher than anywhere in Oxford, so perhaps my standards aren't very high. It doesn't have the conveniences of central Cowley or central Headington (no decent-sized supermarket, no bank, no library, for example), but if you are going to be in the heart of Headington every day for work anyway then that might not be a problem for you. Which part of Headington is your job in?

younglady25 Tue 09-Jun-15 01:02:13

Thank you Leaping Lizard. That's very useful information! I'm going to be working in the Churchill Hospitals. There were a number of house shares on Stanway road - I was told that is Headington but I'm beginning to doubt that...

younglady25 Tue 09-Jun-15 01:02:42

Thank you Leaping Lizard. That's very useful information! I'm going to be working in the Churchill Hospitals. There were a number of house shares on Stanway road - I was told that is Headington but I'm beginning to doubt that...

raggiedoll Sat 13-Jun-15 09:12:18

Just had to google Stanway Rd! I'd call that Risinghurst as it's past the ring road. Probably a lot more affordable...

If you're working at the Churchhill then East Oxford much closer than Stanway road. From Cowley road you can walk up along Barracks Lane and through Warneford Meadow, which is really nice.

LargeLattePlease Mon 15-Jun-15 22:49:12

Stanway road is about 30 minute walk or 10-15 minute cycle to the Churchill hospital. The Risinghurst area is quiet and very family friendly - you may want to live nearer to the shops/pubs though as mentioned up thread etc.

twinklyrach Thu 25-Jun-15 17:07:13

No, sorry, I don't agree with necessarily avoiding Wood Farm. I live here and despite what most Mumsnet Local posters would have you believe we're not all injecting heroin into our eyeballs and starting riots, thank you very much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now