SAHM, new to Oxford

(5 Posts)
GreatScotts Fri 02-Sep-11 23:35:10

Hi mums!

I am a stay at home mom with a 2 and a half year old daughter. We just arrived in Oxford (Iffley Village) two days ago and my husband will be starting work at the University soon. I would love to hear of any toddler groups, good parks/playgrounds or other activities for young children in the area. We don't have a car but are happy to walk/bus around! Also, anyone that knows of good second hand shops for toddler toys/gear (since we traveled from the US and could only fit so much into suitcases!) would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Sarah

hen50 Sat 03-Sep-11 11:59:52

There is a very good new playground in Cumnor village next to the Vine pub. New equipment and very popular. You can get the bus up to Cumnor and there is a stop close to the park. Hope you enjoy it.

Sinkingfeeling Sat 03-Sep-11 14:41:48

There are family centres in Rose Hill and Florence Park (both easily walkable from Iffley) with drop-in sessions for toddlers, and other activities too. Florence Park itself is great for a walking/scootering/cycling/playing on the swings. There's a parent and toddler group called Seashells in St James Church Hall (Beauchamp Lane) on Tuesday mornings and another one called Sunflowers in Magdalen Road Church hall (off the Iffley Road) on Thursday mornings - again both walkable from Iffley. In the city centre, there's Rainbow House in the methodist church on New Inn Hall Street, which is a great drop-in play centre for children with child-friendly food available too. Sorry, I can't remember the opening times, but it's on two or three times a week. The toddler group at St Ebbes Church (Sparklers) is also really good.

As for second-hand toys, try local charity shops (Cowley Centre and Headington both have quite a few), or the NCT (National Childbirth Trust) nearly new sales, which will be coming up in late September/October.

Welcome to Oxford too by the way!

Saracen Sat 03-Sep-11 22:01:46

Welcome to Oxford!

The guide "Oxford for the Under-8s" is a must-have for tips on where to go and what to do with children in Oxford. It's published by the New Parent Network, which you may also want to consider joining. They do a nice newsletter and I think they also have meet-ups and an online forum you could join. http://www.new-parent-network.info/

The current edition of the book is several years old and somewhat out of date so confirm details before going to any toddler groups etc.

Netmums is a competitor of Mumsnet but I don't think mn objects to its being mentioned here.... it has a more local focus than mn and you may find some useful info there. It has a sort of Lonely Hearts board called Meet-A-Mum for parents who want to meet others with little ones. I think Oxford University has some sort of families club you could join as well.

GreatScotts Sun 04-Sep-11 20:41:01

Thanks so much everyone! I will check out your suggestions--especially all of the walkable places mentioned by Sinkingfeeling!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now