West Bridgford Reception year school place

(11 Posts)
bella789 Sun 24-Apr-11 21:07:05

Hi,
Anyone else found that they have not been allocated a place at a WB school??
Are you very cross or am I over reacting???!!
What is your plan to get this sorted??
Bella

defineme Sun 24-Apr-11 21:25:44

I take it you're in catchement? If you live very near then it must be frustrating. All the primary schools in WB are outstanding in terms of results and the only one people try and avoid is Edwalton (though relative to other schools in the county it's fine). My kids are at Abbey Road, very happy and surrounded by kids so clever it's scary! My neighbour's kids go to Jesse Gray(because they weren't allocated a place at Abbey Road) and they think it's brilliant. If you're worried about secondary I think they're similar results and reputation wise. I've heard good things about Ladybay and Gamston. WB can be a pain if you have more than one child and have to pick up from 3 sites, but I'm sure you know that.
I know there was so much uproar over Jesse Gray and places not being allocated that they built extra classrooms-perhaps you could start a group with other parents if this is a bad year. I know some years there seems to have been a population explosion!
Hope it turns out ok.

kipsonline Thu 05-May-11 15:37:21

We're in JG catchment and didn't get an offer anywhere - just heard today that we have been allocated Edwalton, which is a 40 minute walk away.... Anyone else in the same boat??? Feeling sick.....

bella789 Thu 05-May-11 20:40:25

Hi kipsonline

Please check your message in box

Bella

Hebrewlass Thu 12-May-11 23:41:41

I agree, all the schools in WB are excellent apart from Heyman which according to the league tables is now below the national average .So I would avoid that one and Edwalton . There is actually a lot of snobbery about ' The West Bridgford ' school. It isn't the top performing school . The ones to beat are the catholic Edmund Campion school with 96% and Greythorn with 95%. Our daughter goes to Greythorn and we are very impressed. I think you will find that if you appeal there is a very good chance that you may win.

sleepdeprivedby2 Mon 23-May-11 14:08:04

Excuse me for hijacking, but what are the objections to edwalton school?

bella789 Wed 25-May-11 10:47:39

I dont know, I thought Edwalton sounds great!
I am in WB though, not Edwalton

sleepdeprivedby2 Wed 25-May-11 11:21:57

Thanks bella789, I also live in WB, but hadn't heard anything negative about Edwalton School until this thread so I was just wondering if I was out the loop on something.

I know it used to be bad about 15 years ago but am I missing something else?

I also heard that JG was vastly oversubscribed with majority of placements going to siblings this year.

Hebrewlass Fri 03-Jun-11 23:32:14

Hi I don't have any objections to Edwalton primary - but the pupils and the school perform well below the national average in literacy and numeracy . Most people I know try to avoid Edwalton for this reason. I know that others have an issue with it because it is a feeder school for Rushcliffe secondary- Some parents in Edwalton send their children to the private school there - so this has seen Rushcliffe school become undersubscribed. Therefore they make numbers up with a lot of children from outside the borough. Some parents worry that this will mean they will have less influence over who their children are mixing with. However - the Becket School is in the top 30 schools in the country ,the behaviour of pupils there is exemplary and yet they also take from all over the city. As I said before there is a lot of snobbery in wb with regards to schools - personally I would only avoid the 2 under achieving ones - Heyman and Edwalton.

Arbuthnot1 Tue 26-Jul-11 10:34:12

You will find that the schools are very similar with excellent teachers in them all. The difference in results is not down to one school been better than the other. Consider looking at CVA figures - it may change one or two opinions - the staff in Edwalton do a fantastic job. Don't be conned by results alone - which form only one aspect of a childs education - visit all the schools and make your own opinion.

manic Wed 28-Sep-11 21:22:44

What's wrong with Heymann, their reports are very good and I have a friend whose children go there. She says it's a great school, lots of parents help, children well behaved, great clubs. First negative I've heard has been on this thread, is this the "snobbery" that is talked about in WB?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now