What about a book group?

(56 Posts)
HarrogateMum Fri 27-Jun-08 19:40:45

I just came back from Aus and on the plane watched "The Jane Austen Book Club" (whilst not trying to ensure DD did not annoy every single passenger, and that the DTs did not eat too much chocolate out of their "childrens meals").

The women in the book group had a ball drinking wine, eating nibble, oh and talking about books as well. As I have finally managed to get a bit of time to read again, I wondered if anyone else might be interested in doing a book group type thingy - i.e. one of you picks a book, you all have to read it (in say, a month?) and then you all get together and talk about it.......as well as drinking copious amounts of wine and eating nibbles.

Betty are yout here, surely you would be interested!!???

Gateau Fri 27-Jun-08 21:18:13

Sounds like a great idea. Only problem for me would be reading a book within a month!! Hard to do these days!!!! But, hey, I'll be along for the wine and nibbles and discuss the first chapter with you all.

Babyisaac Sat 28-Jun-08 10:14:38

I'd be up for this. But like Gateau, I don't get much chance to read these days! I need to get back into it so a book club would be an incentive!

BettyLupton Sat 28-Jun-08 17:41:16

I was in a lovely one for a while but they met on tuesday nights and we always drank too much wine and it was a 'schoolday' afterwards....

I'd love to join another one...

HarrogateMum Sat 28-Jun-08 19:11:22

so thats a few peeps then! Maybe it should be 6 weeks or 2 months apart so that there was time to read a book! I mean, if I am really into one then I used to be able to read it in a day or two. Now with three kids and a job, its usually a month to finish a book and thats reading it every day!

yorkshirepudding Tue 01-Jul-08 17:33:44

Message withdrawn

HarrogateMum Tue 01-Jul-08 19:29:36

well if you are interested then email me at rachel.hewson@gmail.com and we can discuss offline how to go about starting up, maybe meet up and decide on a book?

yorkshirepudding Wed 02-Jul-08 11:06:56

Message withdrawn

Gateau Wed 02-Jul-08 11:46:18

And me too.

HarrogateMum Thu 03-Jul-08 13:23:54

Gateau - I emailed your aol address and it bounced back saying it was undeliverable?

HumphreyCushioni Wed 16-Jul-08 23:27:43

have emailed you, HM. smile

HarrogateMum Fri 18-Jul-08 15:55:17

right have had emails from Gateau, YP and HCush! Anyone else before I arrange a date????

sallyforth Sat 19-Jul-08 15:18:48

And me...... I shall email you

HarrogateMum Mon 04-Aug-08 13:10:51

any more takers? WE are meeting on 11th August - email me if you havent already!

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 15:13:43

Do I need to email you to get the finer details?

Gateau Tue 05-Aug-08 15:14:34

I mean the finer details of where we are mting on Monday etc etc

HarrogateMum Tue 05-Aug-08 17:46:45

yes as I dont really want to put my address on here!

bettythebuilder Mon 11-Aug-08 14:48:14

Hello all, I'm looking forward to a high brow discussion at Book Club this evening

HarrogateMum Tue 12-Aug-08 09:21:03

well I had fun - hope everyone else did!

See you all in September!

Gateau Tue 12-Aug-08 09:30:34

Yes, it was great. Thanks for making it work and for hosting it,Harrogatemum.
See you all in Sept. Gotta get hold of a book now!

MadreInglese Tue 12-Aug-08 09:49:00

Thanks for having us Harrogatemum, we had a fab time (I knew the Hgte MNers would be lovely!) Look forward to seeing you all again in Sep to talk genres and themes wink

MI & pal

Gateau Tue 12-Aug-08 11:21:14

Have just rung Harrogate library and ordered my copy.
Whoever (can't remember who it was) who said last night that the library caters for book clubs is right.
One of us needs to register the book club at the library - I can do this when I'm next in, if you want. We also need to provide them with a list of five or six titles we are thinking of reading and they will try their best to get as many books in as they can, within reason. They say they can usually get around ten copies.
What do you all think? Will I register?
If so, at the next meeting we need to compile a rough list of books we would all like to read and hand it in to the library.

bettythebuilder Tue 12-Aug-08 14:36:34

It was great to meet you all, thanks for having us, HM!

Gateau, that's really good about the library- will we have to think of a highbrow name for our highbrow book club?

HarrogateMum Fri 15-Aug-08 17:44:03

Thats a great idea Gateau. Why dont we call ourselves the Lowbrow Book Club!

Gateau Sat 16-Aug-08 16:43:30

Yep; good one!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now