Where do I move to in York

(7 Posts)
conny123 Wed 25-Oct-17 11:17:09

Hey guys, need your help!

Me and my partner are planning to move to York. We want to be walking distance/cycling distance to the centre. My partner works in Thirsk so he needs to be close to the A19. We have been looking at Clifton/Rawcliffe/Haxby road/Huntington area but I have no idea what the general reputation of them are. We plan to be there for a while so good primary schools are must and we generally want to make sure we are moving to nice area.

We ideally would like a drive and garden and our top budget is around £250,000.

Any advice would be really really helpful!

Thanks!

TranquilityofSolitude Wed 25-Oct-17 11:47:04

Just a warning that the ring road is very slow in the mornings around the north of York. I live in Huntington and for a while had a child at school near Poppleton and the journey around the top of the ring road past Clifton Moor and across the A19 took ages.

With that in mind I think I'd look at Clifton/Rawcliffe rather than Huntington. Somewhere near Homestead Park (off Shipton Road) might be nice because you can walk/cycle along the river into town from there. I don't know what the primary schools are like there though.

conny123 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:21:12

That's really good advice, thank you!! He hates traffic so anything to make his commute shorter. Does Rawcliffe and Clifton have a good reputation, been reading things saying that Clifton can be rough?

BalloonDinosaur Sun 29-Oct-17 10:30:34

I keep trying to reply to this but I won’t let me for some reason... not going to type it out again if it’ll just disappear!

BalloonDinosaur Sun 29-Oct-17 10:56:27

Ok that worked. So...

Some areas of Clifton can be rough, but we rented in Rawcliffe for a couple of years and never had an issue, it was a really nice little cul de sac just off Green Lane.
DP’s parents have lived around there for years and also not had a problem.

As PP said, Shipton Road area is nice and good access onto the A19 (once you clear the A1237 roundabout) and Clifton Moor shopping area/Tesco.

They’ve just built new housing estate in that area and a huge Aldi, which I imagine is going to increase the traffic substatially, and the ring road is already a nightmare a lot of the time.

Also beware the sewage works, a friend lived off Shipton road and couldn’t open his windows, especially in the summer due to the smell.

Don’t really know about schools as we moved to the other side of the city just before DS was born, and York can be expensive, but we were able to buy a 3 bed place with a decent sized garden for less than your budget.

Good luck! It’s a great city.

J177 Sat 04-Nov-17 23:54:46

I would look at rawcliffe.

Huntington and hadn't are nice but traffic towards the A19 is bad at peak times, however Thirsk does have a train station and trains are regular.

Personally i would avoid living at Clifton moor just because of the traffic

Clifton there good and not so good parts. The good parts tend to be pricey
I'm from York, family still in York at Osbaldwick and i now live in Thirsk off peak travelling time 50mins. Peak times can be anything up to 1hr 30mins especially if any accidents or diversons

Good luck

J177 Sat 04-Nov-17 23:57:30

I would look at rawcliffe.

Huntington and haxby are nice but traffic towards the A19 is bad at peak times, however Thirsk does have a train station and trains are regular.

Personally i would avoid living at Clifton moor just because of the traffic

Clifton there good and not so good parts. The good parts tend to be pricey
I'm from York, family still in York at Osbaldwick and i now live in Thirsk off peak travelling time 50mins. Peak times can be anything up to 1hr 30mins especially if any accidents or diversions

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now