Harrogate - where to live with a teenage son

(10 Posts)
NoCouchPotato Mon 09-Jan-17 12:53:06

Hi Mums
I'm soon to be moving to Harrogate as my DS (13) has been super lucky and offered a place at Harrogate Grammar (so excited). He's an only child and I'm keen to relocate to where he will have new friends local to where we live. I commute to Leeds 3 days a week and WFH other days. I'd love to get any local info and suggestions from you please smile And if there are local mums groups, I'd love to hear about those too.

Yorkshiremummyof4 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:46:31

We live in a nice area near St Aidans. I would personally draw a map on right move of a reasonable walking distance. You don't want to be near Starbeck or Bilton as they are on the wrong side of town.

Yorkshiremummyof4 Mon 09-Jan-17 19:48:40

There is Harrogate mumbler on facebook. Not sure of groups, we've not lived in Harrogate long so still finding my feet. It would be nice to have a mums group for older children,

fluffycatkin Mon 09-Jan-17 19:52:55

Bilton is not the wrong side of town ffs.
I think most people with older children are glad not to bother with mum groups!

HarryG8 Mon 09-Jan-17 22:43:19

May be Yorkshiremum means wrong side of town for the commute to Leeds, Fluffy. (Not the wrong wrong side of town.)

fluffycatkin Tue 10-Jan-17 07:29:25

That's a kind thought, but doesn't really apply to Starbeck which I would agree is on the rough side for Harrogate. grin

NoCouchPotato Tue 10-Jan-17 19:35:50

Fab - thank you all. I did see a property in Starbeck which I will now discount. Seeing a couple more at the weekend smile I'll also take a look at the FB Group mentioned. So much to do before DS starts school next Wednesday!

FetchezLaVache Tue 10-Jan-17 22:45:02

Are you going to be renting?

I reckon Starbeck has got to be due a resurgence - it's one of the only affordable places left! There are lots of nice old houses there, but fuck all else - no nice shops, caf├ęs, pubs or restaurants. Great for you to get the train to Leeds, but not ideal for DS to get to school.

You'd probably want to look Otley Road down to Hornbeam Park for properties, but that's an expensive area because everyone wants to commute to Leeds and send their children to HGS...

And have a look for Harrogate Grumbler - it is to Mumbler what Mumsnet is to Netmums. wink

NoCouchPotato Wed 11-Jan-17 19:11:24

Thanks FetchezLaVache smile
We're viewing a couple around Hookstone Road at the weekend which look nice. I'd love to find somewhere the other side of the A61 but don't think my budget will stretch that far! I'll have a a look on the Grumbler too smile

MG123456xx Fri 30-Jun-17 19:20:38

Hi I am moving to harrogate in August I have an older son who is 14, I'm desperate to make friends

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now