living near the station- help !

(5 Posts)
FreakGeek Tue 23-Jun-09 20:37:43

Hi
i'm hoping someone can help me. We are relocating for hubby's work, but i need to commute to London and havent actually been to norwich as we are still in Canada- are there any nice roads within walking distance of the station-or is there easy parking at the station so we could live further out (such as close to the hospital ?). Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Hassled Tue 23-Jun-09 20:53:03

The hospital is some way from the station, but there is a pretty reliable bus service between the two. The local bus company is First. There is a large multi-story near the station but it's probably not affordable as a long-term solution - and the nearby roads will be permit parking only (i.e. residents only).

The nearest residential area to the station is Thorpe - quite pretty in places (Thorpe Road runs along the river, with some good pubs) with OK schools. Another place to consider is Trowse - very pretty village just outside Norwich, close to the station side.

The area close to the hospital/university is quite a lot pricier, but very nice - "outstanding" schools. Estate Agent speak for the area is the Golden Triangle - the areas around Earlham and Unthank Roads. Again, you could cycle/bus easily either to the station or the hospital from there.

Hope that helps!

Merrylegs Tue 23-Jun-09 21:16:13

Hi
The area around the station is pretty built up and you don't say if you have DCs but if you do, and if you want to be near the station I would say look at Trowse.

It is a little village no more than 2 miles from the station - you could cycle or walk at a push if you are feeling energetic.

It has a lovely park by the broads (Whitlingham), a dry ski slope, a small green and a pub, plus there are quite a few nice rental cottages and an excellent primary school.

Relocating as you are from the Land of the silver birch, Home of the beaver, I would rather direct you to a small oasis by the water rather than a terrace or 'executive' apartment right near the station.

Other station dwellers may come here and prove me wrong of course...

Boco Tue 23-Jun-09 21:22:40

You could always look at Diss, or around there, as it's on the line from London to Norwich, only 15 minutes on the train from Norwich, lovely rural villages and pretty countryside.

FreakGeek Thu 25-Jun-09 15:26:17

thanks SO much- have DS who will be 1 year- and was thinking of the on-site nursery at the hospital- busy bees- do you know anyone who uses it and what their opininon is ? Their hours are longer than the others that i've looked at , plus very convenient as DH can pick up and drop him on way to work.
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now