Anyone in Cromer/ surrounding areas?

(34 Posts)
totalmisfit Mon 12-May-08 10:21:58

Hi, we're hopefully going to be moving up from London in the next few months with 2.2 yr old dd (dp has a new job in Sheringham starting in September). We're quite keen on Cromer, so i'd love to find out if there are any other people on MN in the area..

Is it generally a good place to live when you have young children, or is it mainly geared towards older retired types?

LESuffolk&Norfolk Thu 13-Mar-14 18:45:18

Thank you 2many

Maybe start up a new thread as a general chat topic and I can tweet about it. The thread needn't be a lot of responsibility- more like a general place for mutual information and support.

2manychildren Wed 12-Mar-14 22:29:59

Seringham14 let me know when you move and am sure I can put you in touch with several mums in North Norfolk.
LESuffolk&Norfolk would be interested in supporting anyone who wanted to do an adoption and fostering thread. I would be worried at taking on total responsibility due to youngest 2's complex health needs. But would be very keen to encourage anyone to foster/adopt similar children.

LESuffolk&Norfolk Mon 17-Feb-14 10:02:42

That's lovely to hear Sheringham and I know Mumsnet is a great place to find support and kinship especially with regard to very specific enquiries.

If you want to start an adoption & fostering for Norfolk chat it'll also show up on the main Mumsnet chatboard and hopefully attract some traffic. We are slowly building up the Norfolk site so try not to get too disheartened if things are slow initially- we'll get there and feel free to add your own listings of places you visit and use plus any reviews always welcome.

Sheringham14 Mon 17-Feb-14 01:59:21

Hi Lesuffolk&norfolk
I would definitely find a fostering and adoption thread very helpful.
Just being able to be speak to local(ish) foster mums would be so useful for me. I'm used to London where I can just drop in and meet other foster parents so moving to the countryside I'm very aware that it would be harder to meet other foster parents. I'm very new to mumsnet, always been a lurker but only recently activated an account. Once I move and settle in I would happily contribute thou I'm not planning on starting the fostering process until next year as I want a little time to do up my house and to make friends, build up some knowledge of the local area and have a good support system in place before I start. It's one of the main reasons I've joined mumsnet, to meet mums/nannies/foster parents in Norfolk.
Support groups and children centres would be a great help. It's on the top of my 'Norfolk' to do list once I've unpacked!

LESuffolk&Norfolk Fri 14-Feb-14 15:57:18

Thanks Toomany.

Yes don't want to pile any more work onto you- just be nice to have a drop in thread where we keep an eye on it week by week and even offer a consoling virtual cup of brew.

Having some help with details of good Norfolk support groups and children centre location helps too -I am trying to list as many as possible but it's a large area!

2manychildren Fri 14-Feb-14 15:11:37

Hi,thanks for post. Would be good to do a support thread on this topic. I would love to help perhaps in a minor capacity......due to old age grin. Although we have adopted 8 following 3 homegrowns all 8 have SN`s with health problems, sadly 3 have died so my experience is limited
As for confidentiality I am afraid I don't give a fig I am what I am and just have to be careful about one child.
So if you want any help just let me know.

Take care.

LESuffolk&Norfolk Wed 12-Feb-14 10:24:09

Hello all - lovely to see the talk threads being used.

2manychildren Wow- 8 children! We have 5 between us!

I'd love to establish a talk thread and support area for families who foster and adoption.

Maybe you could start one up? We'll be getting a blog and editorial pages soon and having a regular contribution from you both would be fantastic. I'd credit you of course unless you prefer to stay anonymous.

2manychildren Tue 11-Feb-14 14:35:51

Thanks for reply Sheringham please feel free to PM me. Would love to meet up. Just to warn you I am old as my profile 2old2beamum says on mumsnet grin

Sheringham14 Tue 11-Feb-14 10:28:59

Hi 2manychildren
Cromer isn't that far from me I think.... I know I've walked there along the beach lol
Wow 8 children, that's amazing. I've been a nanny for 13 years and nannied 20 children. Looking forward to starting fostering in a few years once I've settled in and done my house up!
So glad to hear there are lots of crazies in Norfolk, one of the reasons I think I'm drawn to it hahaha
No such thing as old, just wiser and more experienced ;)
I'm due to move fingers crossed next week when I complete.....
Would love to meet up maybe if you would be up for that?

2manychildren Sun 09-Feb-14 21:20:11

Sheringham14 this site has changed my nameconfused I am 2old2beamum I live in Cromer and have adopted 8 children now aged
8-33. There are lots of crazy people like me, I may be a bit old ??????
Good luck it is wonderful up on the N Norfolk coast

Sheringham14 Tue 07-Jan-14 23:37:20

That would be lovely, I looked at holt it was lovely.
I should be moving up in bout 6-8 weeks once everything's completed would be lovely to meet up.
Wow 4dc that's great smile
Am slightly nervous about such a big move as I don't have children yet but I know I will be in a few years and want to get my house ready before i start fostering.
was worried about trying to meet mums, child-carer's and other foster mums in the area as I don't have any foster kids yet!!

br0n2e Tue 07-Jan-14 22:39:01

Hello
I'm in Holt and happy to meet up for coffee or whatever.
I have four dc but they're all school age now. smile
I know how hard it is to meet people in a new area. It took me a year before I knew anyone who wasn't a shopkeeper.

Sheringham14 Tue 07-Jan-14 22:35:05

Hi, I'm about to move to sheringham and was wondering if there's anyone nearby. I'm a nanny but the reason I've moved to Norfolk is that I am going to become a foster mum in a few years so would be lovely to meet some mums/nannies/childcarers who live in sheringham or nearby.
Would be great to start to find my feet and make friends as I do up my house and prepare for life as a foster mum!

2manychildren Sun 28-Apr-13 18:24:08

Hi I live in Cromer and I love it. I am probably too old for you (as my name says) I do have a 7yr old don't ask grin
Hope you settle in quickly.....I felt at home in just 3 weeks despite the new house falling apart!!

HepV Fri 05-Apr-13 23:29:28

I realize this is a pretty old post, but I thought I might resurrect it with the hopes of finding some similar mums in the area.

We just moved to Cromer, and I'm looking for other mums in the lcoal area for meetups, coffee, etc.

I have a 5 year old boy and a 3 year old girl.

jelly2 Sat 16-Jan-10 16:36:03

hi

i am in sheringham - grew up here and recently moved back from London. I have a 9 month old little girl. we all love it here. great place for kids. as a sheringham girl i would of course suggest you have a look at sheringham

there is a child friendly community here and what is nice is that nothing is over subscribed. there is something to do inside everyday in the winter with toddlers and that is just sheringham.

hope you love it to.

excuse the lower case - one-handed typing baby breastfeeding.

totalmisfit Mon 28-Sep-09 09:53:50

Hi Sally, i'm 28 and live near Cromer since moving up from London. So not quite 30's but getting there! i have a dd who's 3.6 and another due in January. It's very much a retirement place, isn't it? Lovely as most of the oldies are, i do wish dd and i had a few more families to get to know locally.

sallyjaygorce Mon 14-Sep-09 21:01:43

Hello,

I have just moved from London to a village near Sheringham and would love to meet some people who are in their 30's and 40's - some interesting types in the village but all knocking on heaven's door age-wise. I have three children (5,4 and 1) and like to talk about stuff that has nothing whatsoever to do with childcare.

Anyone out there?

totalmisfit Fri 19-Sep-08 08:52:44

been here for a couple of weeks now - really strange - i keep expecting to have to 'go home' again and then i remember that we live here!

have been along to a few toddler groups but feeling a bit like the new girl at school tbh.

totalmisfit Tue 26-Aug-08 21:17:38

oh no! didn't realise it was posh... i just thought it was pretty, (and it had the only house we could find with a garden)

we're only renting for now, (couldn't sell our flat in time) so will probably keep looking around the area for a year or so.

overstrand seems lovely but maybe a bit too quiet for my tastes!

yes, have ventured into the caff a couple of times, quite sweet, really smile and a great view if i remember rightly.

is playstop in cromer itself? i think i've been past it a few times and whereabouts is the elephant barn? - the name sounds about right for my lo as she's going through a stompy phase..

peanutbutterkid Fri 22-Aug-08 20:35:20

Ah, I see, the posh village, then .
Have you been to the CAFF?, yet? There is no better reason to go to Overstrand (imho) grin.

You'll soon discover the delights of FunStop and Elephant Playbarn, then (Playbarn does good food, actually).

I propose Elephant Playbarn, if you can ever organise a meetup.

totalmisfit Thu 21-Aug-08 20:56:22

we're moving to overstrand, just a couple of miles outside cromer...not sure if there's much happening around there! whereabouts are you based?

any groups/ recommendations most welcome smile

GiraffeAHolic Wed 13-Aug-08 12:25:22

whereabouts are you moving to?

there's quite a lot of groups etc in the area

Good luck with the move!

(Was Mummy2Freya by the way)

totalmisfit Mon 11-Aug-08 11:07:09

not long till we move now!

really excited to be leaving London at last...

If anyone wants to break with tradition and meet up at some point after August 30th do let me know smile

Would love to get to know some local mums asap...

peanutbutterkid Mon 30-Jun-08 13:03:10

Claire, I dunno how regularly the other N-Wm mum posts or even what talk name she has now - I'm sure she'll out herself if she wants.

I am pretty sure that no MN meetup has ever happend successfully in Norfolk, but could always be a first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now