Practicalities of moving to Norwich

(9 Posts)
Mattheguineapig Wed 02-Dec-15 14:48:23

Hi,
Im looking for some advice from someone who has relocated to Norwich with school aged children. I just need some advice re: logistics. If we found a house, are there places where the schools are so oversubscribed we couldnt get two kids in? I would have a reception and year 3 child. We were looking at around the Easter term.

Also, areas. I think I've narrowed it down to Hellesdon and Thorpe St Andrews but are open to suggestions. We want somewhere reasonably priced but nice (doesnt everyone?!!)Dont think we could afford the size we want in GT. If you live in North Norwich, is it like living under the Heathrow Flight path?

lljkk Wed 02-Dec-15 15:45:15

Not like Heathrow, honest.

I don't specifically know those areas or current school status, but normally that's not the over-subbed side of the city. You do get poor amount of house for your money in the GT AND the street crime rate there can be shocking. (Yes I would live still there, but it's not as safe as I'd like either).

Why north side of the city is that near you or partner's work?

Mattheguineapig Wed 02-Dec-15 17:14:23

No reason really. Just seen some nice houses there and schools with decent Ofsted reports but noticed they were near the airport. We are just upping sticks and escaping London. My DH was made redundant and I work on a freelance basis. We both work in further and adult education, so our potential work could be anywhere really. We want to set up a training Business eventually.

lljkk Wed 02-Dec-15 17:25:48

It can be a pain to get from North side of city to directions south, since your DH doesn't know where he's going to be working. I'd choose south or west side if you don't know where you need to travel to.

Mattheguineapig Thu 03-Dec-15 13:00:19

Thanks for the advice. My family are all still in London, so was looking at east as well, as near the station but I suppose access to work is more important. I can always drive to the station grin

QuizteamBleakley Tue 08-Dec-15 11:40:47

Brundall, Thorpe St Andrews and that area is great. Frequent trains from Brundall & Brundall Gardens to Norwich station. Rude question but what kind of budget are you looking at?

QuizteamBleakley Tue 08-Dec-15 11:44:11

Have a look here at the Locrating map - i've set it up for all Outstanding schools.

Mattheguineapig Tue 08-Dec-15 12:41:56

Hi,thanks. I'll have a look at that map. We're looking at £300k max for a 4 bedroom.

suebrocklehurst Wed 09-Dec-15 20:31:08

Fantastic primary school in Brundall. Then you can go on to Thorpe high school. Good road links via outer ring road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now