Living in Newham/Surrey? Research

(8 Posts)
tizzybelle Sun 12-May-13 10:22:05

Hi all!

I am completing some research on the uptake of Free Entitlement childcare for children aged 3-4. I was wondering if anyone living in Newham or Surrey area would be interested in completing an interview for my research? I am looking at why the uptake is so high in both areas, despite their different make ups (socio-economic, ethnicity, demographics etc).

Please let me know if any way this could work... I am keen on the project but not sure how to get the right people to interview!!

nannynick Sun 12-May-13 10:42:25

Research for whom?
The Daily Mail? A University? Surrey County Council?

Who are you and who are you working for?

nannynick Sun 12-May-13 10:49:33

Population difference:
Newham estimate:300,000
Surrey estimate: 1,132,000

2011 census data still being processed, though Surrey does give population figure: 1132400

Are you comparing like with like?

nannynick Sun 12-May-13 10:59:46

Could you visit groups, such as toddler groups and contact pre-schools in the areas you want to research, to find parents/carers willing to talk to you?

tizzybelle Sun 12-May-13 12:57:44

Thanks for getting back to me nannynick,

I'm completing a research project for the University of Oxford. I am currently completing an MSc and need to find some willing parents who will be happy to be interviewed.

Although the population figures are pretty different, for the purpose of research the two local authorities are like for like. I say this because they both have exactly the same take up rates for childcare, both have relatively similar levels of employment and economically active areas. The biggest variation is the ethnic make up of the two areas, which is the key element that I am focussing on for the research.

I think I will have to contact parents at the pre schools and see if it is possible to do this! It's just very difficult to actually find parents. But thanks very much for your advice!

Tanith Mon 13-May-13 08:05:28

I think you'd need to take a wider view than just those at preschool. The EYFE is available through private nurseries and accredited childminders, too.

Perhaps you could approach the EYFE teams at both authorities and ask them for a list of providers, then approach parents through them - maybe a letter to be sent to parents using the entitlement.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-May-13 09:42:02

Morning all,

We're just going to move this to the "Can You Help?" section of Newham local.

MissMooMoo Mon 13-May-13 12:05:06

i live in newham but dont have any kids I am a nanny.
Have you looked into the birth rate? newham is the most fertile council in the country,has the highest number of young people in the country and is the second most deprived council in the country. Think that pretty much sums up why so many take up the free childcare.....high numbers of children and low wages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now