Buying first home

(22 Posts)
rhiiannonn1 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:39:27

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if I could get some opinions on local areas please.
I've recently moved to the area and am renting whilst looking for a house to buy. I've got a budget of up to £100,000 for a 2 bed house with garden and I'm looking for somewhere that's safe and not too noisy. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thank you! smile

Ironlady2015 Wed 28-Jun-17 20:52:27

Have you any initial thoughts on areas? I've lived in the following areas (all in Gateshead):
Low Fell (lovely but expensive)
Festival Park (lovely but also a bit pricey)
St James' Village (near a metro and quite nice but not so nice areas close by)
Where are you currently renting?

gotootsiego Wed 28-Jun-17 21:13:59

You would get a two bedroom flat with a yard for that in Heaton. Some of those yards (if south facing) can be really nice.
How about Fenham? Some of the northern bits are nice and quiet and might be in budget.

gotootsiego Wed 28-Jun-17 21:17:21

Or possibly Wallsend.

katienana Wed 28-Jun-17 22:29:27

Im putting a flat in fenham on the market. It has a rear yard and front garden. Fenham is great it's a quiet street, close to buses, schools, shops. Got a swimming pool and library too!

rhiiannonn1 Fri 30-Jun-17 09:54:38

I'm currently renting in Dunston which is nice and friendly but there's just not a lot here really (too close to the metrocentre to have its own high street really I think). Thanks for the suggestions, I'm really looking for a house rather than a flat (I've had bad experience in the past of loud neighbours above etc). I wasn't sure about Fenham, I'd heard some not so great things about it.. or is it one of those places where if you choose carefully where you go you're fine?

So far I've basically just been looking along the metro map. I've found a couple of possible houses in Benton, Shiremoor, Kenton.. does anyone know anything about those places?

Ironlady2015 Fri 30-Jun-17 10:06:45

Yes I'm not fussed on Dunston to be honest. I have friends in Fenham but I'm not sure I'd want to live there either but that's just me.

No idea about Benton, Shiremoor or Kenton but I did live in Kingston Park for a while which I thought was really nice. It has a metro and also a retail park with a huge Tesco. No idea how expensive houses are there though.

Unfortunately if you have a budget of £100k but want a house, its going to limit your areas a bit.

rhiiannonn1 Fri 30-Jun-17 12:43:30

Thanks I'll take a look at Kingston Park to see what the prices are like there smile
That's OK, I know it's asking a lot! I've found a few possibles so I think I'll just go and visit the areas to get a feel for them.

Mrshockallz1726 Fri 14-Jul-17 12:30:58

We live on north Kenton and bought our three bed house a couple of years ago for £80,000. I know there are some for sale near us for around £100,000. My friends is on for just over £100k and its three bed with big garden

rhiiannonn1 Fri 14-Jul-17 16:46:28

That's good to know, thank you smile I'd seen a couple of houses that looked suitable around Kenton, is it a nice area to live in?

Mrshockallz1726 Fri 14-Jul-17 19:15:57

We love it! Our son is at mountfield primary which is a brilliant school. It's quite small so has one class per year group. It's easy Into town as we can either get the bus or walk down to fawdon metro which is about ten minutes.

rhiiannonn1 Sat 15-Jul-17 19:55:40

Brilliant, thank you! I couldn't find anything about Kenton online so I'm glad to find someone that says it's nice smile

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Jul-17 20:00:09

Benton is a good area. Quite posh with a metro station.

Shiremoor has grown quite a lot over the years. It's closer to the coast and further from the town.

rhiiannonn1 Sat 15-Jul-17 22:03:27

Thanks for the info on Benton and Shiremoor, couldn't really find anything about either area on the internet. I'm visiting a couple of houses in those areas this week so I can see them first hand!

SavoyCabbage Sat 15-Jul-17 22:08:29

My Mam is a property whizz. She used to be an estate agent so if you want to PM me the shiremoor and Benton ones (and any others in that area. Heaton etc) I can ask her to have a look at the details for you.

Andpppy Tue 15-Aug-17 20:43:48

I used to live on Kenton years ago. It's fine and easy to get into town or into Northumberland if you like the country. If it was my money Kenton.

Sayyouwill Sun 03-Sep-17 19:43:31

I live in dunston smile

Moving soon mind.

How about chapel house?

Creambun2 Sat 30-Sep-17 19:05:30

Fenham is rough. Many part of Heaton overun by annoying inconsiderate students. High Heaton is okay.

Suggest South Gosforth or Benton (parts).

South of the tyne - just no - people talking about Low Fell it is like a war zone on Friday and weekend nights. Avoid.

LocalEditorDurham&Newcastle Mon 02-Oct-17 11:27:13

I lived in Low Fell for about 7 years. Quiet, friendly and really good for families. Very little crime, and very little anti-social behaviour in my experience. I'd move there again if I was going to choose anywhere near the city.

Yahoo74 Tue 03-Oct-17 00:01:57

Well within your price range. In a very quiet cul-de-sac. Great transport links and doesn't take too long to walk into town. Bathroom needs updating but rest of house looks ok.
www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/44461716?search_identifier=6d191a13020fccbe31aafcf250f9e2cd#Wv5Bf2kj2d9y8wyg.97

Creambun2 Tue 03-Oct-17 11:09:28

I'd avoid the west end of newcastle. Pretty rough with lots of anti social behaviour. Just see the past threads where people say they are desperate to get out of the west end.

Flowershower Sat 07-Oct-17 10:52:06

Have you looked at Blaydon? It's got a more busy high street with local shops, Costa , a Morrisons, nice leisure centre and great transport links to Newcastle. Plus very affordable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now