Don't miss the public consultations about Newcastle's parks, wildlife parks, allotments

(5 Posts)
OldTopper Thu 02-Mar-17 22:49:13

Be sure to go to the consultations about the future of all Newcastle's parks, wildlife parks, nature reserves, allotments, green spaces of every kind.

The first was today at Trinity Church in Gosforth.
The next will be 11th March at Jesmond Dene Visitors Centre 11 a.m - 3 p.m.

Here is a list of the others:
letstalknewcastle.co.uk/consultations/index/224

Newcastle City Council has no money for these spaces and plan to give them over in one lot to an outside leaseholder who would then run them. They could then be used commercially in some ways by the leaseholder.

The government is about to publish the first part of a green paper outlining a twenty five year plan to bring nature back into our cities. So it is a pity Newcastle's green spaces are in danger of being lost to us, at least in their present form.

These places are essential for the physical, mental and spiritual well being the city's people - of whatever age or background.

As an example of the sort of thing a commercial pressure might bring, last summer, in Gosforth Central Park, which has been run by volunteers for the last two years, it was mooted by local councillors that the Ladies Bowling Green could have a cafe built on it; the tennis courts would become subscription only and locked to non-payers; floodlights would be put in; the basket ball net removed.

There would always be the danger in my view too that a lot of this space would turn into building land by means of one excuse or another.

I personally would rather pay more council tax, specifically to pay for the upkeep of these spaces, than have them given away into commercial hands; and I would be willing to pay enough to cover for those who cannot afford it. Perhaps a lottery would be an idea too.

But whatever your views, it would be worth making them known.

OldTopper Fri 03-Mar-17 13:21:26

This is to get this message sent out again. Everybody in the Newcastle area, no matter where you live, this will affect you.

Ikeameatballs Sat 04-Mar-17 13:07:22

Hi,

I've just completed the survey and have similar concerns to you.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

LocalEditorDurham&Newcastle Sat 04-Mar-17 22:01:01

Thanks for posting OP. Really important that people give their views.

OldTopper Tue 07-Mar-17 14:00:50

As a reminder of the consultaions on Parks and Nature Reserves

7th March - Kingston Park Community Centre, 2pm-7pm

9th March - East End Customer Service Centre Byker, 10am-2pm
The Lemington Centre, 3pm-7pm

11th March - Jesmond Dene Visitor Centre, 11am-3pm

14th March - City Library Atrium, 1-7pm

16th March - Pottery Bank Community Centre, 10am-2pm

You can find out more here: letstalkparks.co.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now