Nice villages to live in the North East

(4 Posts)
jorobertson81 Sun 17-Nov-13 12:00:55

Please help. We are currently looking to move to a nice village in the North East but really need some help as to where would be good to live. We need to be commutable to Newcastle but happy to travel up to an hour so our search area stretches from just south of Darlington, up to Alnwick and inland to past Hexham.

We are looking for a nice village which has one or two nice pubs and is a short (ish) drive to somewhere with supermarkets and shops.

We think you can get more for your money in County Durham than Northumberland and would ideally like to buy a nice big house where we move to. We are also keen on making friends so a good community is important.

I have heard the following are nice- any comments or other tips?

Corbridge
West end of Hexham
Great Whittington
Alnwick
Hurworth on Tees
Yarm
Middleton St George
Lanchester
West end of Darlington
Witton le Wear
Bishop Auckland
Barnard Castle
Tynemouth

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!!

Hubbythecatandme Sun 29-Dec-13 13:59:10

Corbridge = yes really lovely
Hexham = equally lovely but more shops and facilities.
Alnwick = love Alnwick but maybe a bit far to commute to Newcastle every day?
Bishop Auckland = lovely but a bit far to commute?
Barnard Castle = likewise
Tynemouth = personal favourite, I used to live in Whitley Bay and loved it, easy access from the coast road. Right by the sea. Great place.
I would also look into:
- Ovingham (did supply teaching there, lovely schools, lovely families, fab lil village)
- Durham and lil villages outside Durham
- Morpeth
- Earsdon
Good luck!!

geordiepixie Wed 01-Jan-14 13:31:44

What about places like Ryton, Crawcrook, Prudhoe...only about 30 minutes drive to Newcastle and they also have good bus links to Newcastle. There's a bus every 10-20 minutes to Newcastle.

Other suggestions
Stanley
Wylam
Hamsterley, Consett

superduperwuper Fri 14-Mar-14 13:15:08

Bishop Auckland (and all the Aucklands) can be a bit wild west. I say this as someone from Teeside so I'm no snob.

Wylam would be my choice with unlimited budget, couple of pubs and quick train/ drive into Newcastle.

Darlington to Newcastle is a hell of a commute btw (for the NE) as the A1 is a proper ballache. I work with some people who do it by car (1.5 hours avoiding the worst of traffic) and train (better but a PITA unless you are in city centre....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now