Summer activities...help!

(6 Posts)
hackneyzoo Sun 19-Jun-11 11:55:39

I'm moving from London to Heaton at the end of next month with DP and 3 dcs aged 4 months, 2.5 and 4. DP will be starting work straight away so I am looking for (freeish) stuff to do to entertain the dcs. Will playgroups still be running? Are there any summer playschemes for 4 year olds?
Any advice much appreciated

CBear6 Fri 24-Jun-11 22:05:49

Sure Start do a lot of activities for under 5's in the school holidays, playgroups aren't usually on but they have activity days and day trips. Definitely contact your local centre for details of what's on.

There are a couple of good parks in Heaton, plus you have Leazes Park in the city centre. There's Adventurelands in Heaton but it's like hell on Earth when it's busy (it's a big indoor playframe).

The beach is a relatively short journey away, just hop the Metro to one of the coastal stops (Whitley Bay, Cullercoats, Tynemouth). Cullercoats has just a beach but it's small and has a lifeguard station so ideal for little ones. Tynemouth has a big park, a duck pond, and an aquarium as well as the beach, it also has lifeguards but is a much bigger beach. Whitley Bay has loads of shops near the beach, some arcades, etc.

For rainy days Newcastle City Centre has the Discovery Museum and the Great North Hancock Museum, they're both free and have lots to interest little ones (Hancock is nature and history, Discovery is science and local heritage), the Laing Art Gallery is also free and has a children's area. There's the Life Science Centre but it's a pay to get in affair and can be pricey (£10 an adult I think and about £6 for a child) however it's really good and has lots of interactive exhibits. Over the river is Seven Stories, a musum based around books/reading and they have lots of activites for children.

I can't think of any more off the top of my head but check with SureStart, check the local tourism board website, and ask about smile

hackneyzoo Mon 27-Jun-11 17:38:33

CBear6 Thanks so much for your reply, tons of useful info and very much appreciated smile

hairtwiddler Thu 07-Jul-11 21:53:35

Check out kidsnewcastle, which has some useful info.
Pet's corner in Jesmond Dene is nearly finished after a redesign - lots to keep kids entertained there.
The surestart centre next to High Heaton library is new and very shiny - runs some nice groups.
Will your 4yr old be starting school in Sept? Good luck!

crumblequeen Thu 14-Jul-11 21:45:10

Pick up a copy of "the little pages" - its usually in the libraries or other child friendly attractions. It has details of whats on quarterly. Piccolo music are running summer sessions (details on their website) if that interests you.

hackneyzoo Fri 15-Jul-11 09:53:32

Thanks Hairtwiddler and crumblequeen! Lots of stuff going on then....I feel less terrified about being stuck with 3 dcs and having no one to play with for the holidays! My 4 year old is starting school in Sept, hopefully Hotspur, still waiting for a place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now