Need some friends!

(14 Posts)
YoureInMySystemBaby Sat 07-May-11 17:27:14

Ok so here's how it is...

My name is Emma, I'm 26, married and I have 3 children - an 8 year old DS from a previous relationship and a 2 year old DS and a nearly 1 year old DD.

I never really did the whole 'friends who had children' because they simply didn't have children. While I was growing and subsequently bring up my DS1, they'd all gone off to university, made new friends and partied hard. I partied hard, but not quite with as much gusto as them, having to come home and raise a child with a hangover; it's just not fun. I didn't visit playgroups with him because I was very obviously a teen mother and whether it was becuase they had predjudices against me for that fact; or maybe I had preconceptions of them becuase they were all late 20's/early 30's, married etc - I just didn't speak to anyone and noone approached me - a very cringleworthy experience looking back. I guess that's what has put me off visiting playgroups with my two youngest children.

I pretty much lived to work, rather than worked to live until my DS1 was 5, when I met my now husband (at work!) and now we're married, with 2 more beautiful children and I'm a SAHM until my youngest start reception. Now I don't even have a work social life. I have no social life. I love my husband, but frankly, I'm sick of him being pretty much my ONLY social interaction.

It's about time I made an effort to make some friends.. I think what holds me back is the fact I feel like I'm hard to get on with? So a bit about me:

I have a shocking sense of humour - dry and often black, quite often non-PC.
I love to gossip, some may say bitch, but it's never 100% malicious.
I have a lip piercing and LOVE rock/metal music.
I don't drink often, but when I do, I do it in style and with little grace.
I occasionally swear and smoke the VERY occasional cigarette (usually when drunk).
I'm only educated to GSCE level, but that's mainly due to falling pregnant at 17 - I like to think I'm reasonably intelligent.
I used to rock a quirky, bohemian appearance and was a size 8/10, but since DS2 and DD have arrived, I only rock Asda George 12/14- badly at that.

Want to be my friend? grin

Merle Sun 08-May-11 07:55:34

Emma, I'm no good for you (too old, busy, wrong area), but am bumping you along. Good luck.

KateMiddletonsMum Sun 08-May-11 08:04:12

Hello. I'm way older than you but like the same music, shall we mosh?

Alex3112 Sun 08-May-11 11:20:25

Hi Emma,

I am pregnant with my first child at the moment (am 28) and am always happy to make new friends. especially those with children as many of my friends don't have them yet smile

YoureInMySystemBaby Sun 08-May-11 14:30:45

Hello and thanks ladies!

KateMiddletonsMum - my moshing days are well and truly behind me. It's almost as if something happened to that fluid filled sack in my ears when I turned 25 - I get very dizzy and sick, very quickly. I can't even go on waltzers any more!

Alex3112 Hello, hello :] How far along into your pregnancy are you? Do you feel prepared and 'ready' for everything? It really is the best thing in the world.. when they go to sleep so you can have 5 minutes peace nad quiet ;]

KateMiddletonsMum Sun 08-May-11 21:16:31

Haha, at my great age (36) I take any opportunity to get out and listen to some music, loud as I can, pure escapism.
Legends rock nights in Newcastle are fab!

YoureInMySystemBaby Mon 09-May-11 14:17:08

Yes, I used to frequent Legends.. and Cuba Cuba and a few uni nights - Get Y'Skates on, Stonelove... the Arena when it was on on a Saturday... :]

Alex3112 Wed 11-May-11 18:41:58

I am 20 weeks at the moment have my next scan next tues and very excited..and a little nervous! I can't wait to be a mum though smile

KateMiddletonsMum Wed 11-May-11 23:51:35

I never went to the Arena when it was Rock night!
However I hear at Trillians next Fri there is an iron maiden tribute act on, I shall definately be there!
Good luck with your scan chick, hope all goes well smile

seaweedhead Thu 12-May-11 19:21:10

Awww...I met my DP at stonelove! That was back in the days when we used to actually go out. Feel too old for it now (am nearly 30 grin ) plus I'm pg with dc2- lucky if I can stay awake beyond 9.30 at the moment!

DamselInDisguise Tue 24-May-11 20:34:49

Hi Emma.

I'll be your friend! I moved to newcastle about 9 months ago and never seem to meet anyone (largely as I work at home). I've got a nearly 11 year old and a nearly 2 year old (both DSs). I'm 30, so I managed to completely miss-time my motherhood relative to all my friends too.

FourFish Thu 23-Jun-11 23:14:49

Hello
i've got two monsters DDs almost 3 and 1
I only have a few friends as i have moved around a lot and because, like you, i timed everything wrong! I concived DD1 in my first year of uni and my old uni set (who i've lost touch with due to being awake at different times) are only just getting married.
Unlike you i like jazz but i'm open to converting people ;-)

DamselInDisarray Fri 24-Jun-11 21:48:54

My DH loves jazz. I'm regularly subjected to attempts at jazz drumming!

TubbyFunster Sat 16-Jul-11 21:57:29

I would genuinely love to be your friend but where would I find the time??? Lets hope our paths cross at some point you sound postively normal, a rare occurance round my way :-) x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now