St Matthews COE - West Wimbledon

(13 Posts)
Rox73 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:20:48

Hi,
We're looking to buy a house in the area and saw a house around 350m away from St Matthews. Does anyone know the cut off distance was last year? I rang the council and they weren't much help. School's out so noone is answering.

thanks a million

WobblyPig Wed 19-Aug-09 22:19:15

The council have published the average catchment areas for other wimbledon schools on their website. Don't know specifically about St Matthews though.

thehouseofmirth Mon 24-Aug-09 09:01:29

Don't know what it is in metres but we're on corner Cambridge/Laurel Rds and we got in this year. Neighbour across road in Laurel Road (so a bit nearer) did not get in to the nursery this year. A lot depends on siblings I think. Though most sibs in DS's class have foundation rather than open places.

Rox73 Mon 24-Aug-09 09:19:23

thanks. I just read the admissions policy for St Matthews and it says that for open places priority is given to:

1. siblings
2. those already in nursery
3. distance

If we're moving into the area, then we won't have our child in nursery, so then do I assume that there will be no chance of our dd1 getting into reception 2010?

Does anyone know what happens if new-to-the-area people want to get into St Matthews?

I'm finding it really difficult to find a house close to a good local school within our budget and one that we see ourselves living in. Two of the biggest decisions (house and school) we have to make, I want to give us a fighting chance of getting dd1 into a good school! It's quite hard!! I'll stop the exclaimation marks now.

Any advice would be great.

thehouseofmirth Mon 24-Aug-09 12:45:45

In DS's intake 10 out of 30 have not been to nursery. Is there no chance of starting your child in nursery before school? I'm assuming if you're looking at houses now that you are planning to move before next September?

350m means nothing to me -in which road is the house you are looking at?

Rox73 Mon 24-Aug-09 14:13:48

melbury gardens and copse hill. i'd look to get DD into nursery as soon as we have exchanged on a house in west wimbledon. I've just assumed all the nursery places are taken.

I'm planning on being in the area before the dec cut off for enrolments into reception 2010. If we can't find a place to buy then we'll rent somewhere.

thehouseofmirth Mon 24-Aug-09 14:31:34

We'll almost be neighbours! I think you'll be fine distance-wise at the St Matthews end of those. Nursery is currently full for September but I'd put your name down now and perhaps you'll get a place later.

Hollymount has got a double intake this year and if they do that again next year then you'd probably be OK for a place there.

Rox73 Mon 24-Aug-09 15:01:00

great, thanks a million! good suggestion about putting my name down for nursery.

mrshouse Mon 24-Aug-09 21:14:41

Hi DD goes to St Matts. Nursery absolutely has no bearing on place in reception. Its written all over the application form for open places and on their website. Think you've got a very good chance. Where did you see the admissions policy you quoted ?

Lovely lovely place to live with kids. Go for it.

mrshouse Mon 24-Aug-09 21:17:45

Just remembered about 6 nursery children didn't get places in reception DD's year as more children applied who were nearer to the school.

thehouseofmirth Mon 24-Aug-09 21:21:31

Yes mrshouse, that's what I thought (about nursery & reception being separate) I wonder if I know you?!

Rox73 Mon 24-Aug-09 21:28:16

I thought I read it from the school's website.
I hope I'm wrong, it makes sense the Coe
schools in north London have that policy of
nursery places not affecting reception places.

PheasantPlucker Sun 06-Sep-09 23:57:02

Hi, I was told the criterion of having a child at Nursery has been dumped. Last year 11 children starting Reception had not attended Nursery. 15 places go to children whose families attend one of the local CofE churches, 15 are Open Places.

It is a nice school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now