West Wimbledon primary, Hollymount primary or Ursuline prep

(13 Posts)
Rox73 Fri 12-Jun-09 13:41:45

Hi,
I'm new to area or actually will be new to the area (we move next month) and I wanted to get some feedback about these 3 primaries. My eldest daugther is due to start Reception Sept 2010 (eek!) so wanted to get a better idea of schools in the area.

Thanks a million!

thehouseofmirth Sun 14-Jun-09 20:50:20

Don't know about the others (though next door neighbour's son goes to Hollymount & seems happy) but DS1 is at St Matthews and it's a lovely school. You've got a while before you need to apply for a place in reception. Are you planning to apply for nursery places at these schools?

PheasantPlucker Sun 14-Jun-09 22:06:28

Hollymount has a very good reputation (we know the Nursery Nurse, and she is lovely!) and West Wimbledon had an 'Outstanding' Ofsted report, and has very good wrap around care. (The After School Club at WW also collects children from Hollymount). Hollymount is always oversubscribed.

Ursuline Prep is an independent Catholic school, but I can't tell you anything more about it, as I have had no dealings with it (other than dd2 attended a drama club and a few of the girls who attended the club went to the school - they seemed nice girls!)

Good luck with choosing.

Rox73 Mon 15-Jun-09 13:03:58

Thanks! We're moving to be closer to good local primary schools. Our two closest is Hollymount and WW.

Yes, I'm also looking for nursery places. merton council have told me that the nursery places for both primary schools are already oversubscribed. I can't apply until we've completed which won't be until mid July.

I find it so hard to work out what is a "good" school and what isn't. I've read the Ofsted reports but think getting any first hand experience is a better indicator. For instance, Hollymount doesn't get as 'good' an ofsted report as WW but it seems to have the better reputation and is oversubscribed. Does anyone know why that is?

Does WW not have a good reputation?

thehouseofmirth Mon 15-Jun-09 13:48:54

WW has had a less favourable reputation in the past. I don't think you can judge a school (solely) by an Ofsted report. I didn't look at them at all when choosing my son's school. Instead I visited them and talked to other parents. I personally didn't like the "feel" of Hollymount. I think WW is probably more diverse in terms of the backgrounds of children who attend and for that reason I would have favoured it over Hollymount.

If Hollymount & WW are close to you then presumably St Matthews would also be?

PheasantPlucker Mon 15-Jun-09 14:12:48

I would not have sent my dd2 to Hollymount purely because a friend tells a horrendous account of treatment of her dd, who had SEN when she was there a few years back. (My eldest daughter has a variety of special needs so I feel very strongly when I hear a report of a school being - allegedly - rather 'unhelpful' to the parents of a child with SN)

West Wimbledon was my second choice, behind the school my dd2 was offered a place at (1st choice). My dd1 goes to the After School Club at West Wimbledon, and the staff are fantastic.

My view is biased, but there it is, for your consideration! And I never took account of OFSTED reports either, relying instead on gut instinct.

Rox73 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:24:06

Thanks a million you both! Really helpful. St Matthews is close as well but when I called the school, I got the impression that the chances of getting in would be small as we wouldn't be applying for a foundation placement.

You're both right, I will go visit the schools myself before submitting my application.

Thanks again, it has been really helpful.

thehouseofmirth Mon 15-Jun-09 17:19:15

Don't know exactly where you'll be but we got an open, not foundation place.

Rox73 Wed 19-Aug-09 09:33:48

thehouseofmirth: did you get your ds1 into nursery first before applying for his reception place at st matthews? I've been reading the schools admission policy for st matthews and those children in their nursery class get preference over distance for open places.

I'm wondering if I'd get my dd1 a place in the school at all, given we haven't moved there yet (still looking for a house) and all the nursery places are taken?

We're trying to move into the area and want to send our children to a nice local school so that they can have friends close by.

The council isn't overly helpful, they say to ring the school, which of course is closed for summer holidays. Buying a house and choosing a school are big decisions, you'd think they'd be more informative!

Curlybubba Sun 11-Oct-09 10:39:35

Hi Rox73, How are you getting on with choosing a primary school? I will be moving to Wimbledon in the new year, and am looking for a primary school for my son who will be in year 2 in September 2010. I would really love to hear opinions on the 'best' primary schools in Wimbledon. We of course want to live in a nice safe part of town near good schools. For those Mums living in Wimbledon, which schools are 'known' as the best ones? Many thanks!

TheHappyCat Thu 15-Oct-09 21:42:01

Hello... have heard locally that Bishop Gilpin has fabulous rep (and quite a few places come up at 7 when some switch to private). Is C of E - intake is half church, half catchment area. Ofsted excellent.
Am very close so am considering for mine (not school age yet). it is on Lake Rd between Village & town.

Curlybubba Sat 17-Oct-09 13:15:11

Thanks, it does sound like a lovely school.

Rox73 Wed 04-Nov-09 10:11:11

From what I've heard now the primary schools are all generally very good. Wimbledon Chase is also in the GSG. I've also been told that a lot of the local primary schools have places come up at 7 as this is when alot of parents switch to private.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now