Plans to close Virgin Active Battle Close (off North Road Wimbledon).

(10 Posts)
gazzalw Mon 16-Oct-17 13:39:02

Just wondering what your thoughts are about the proposal to close it down by this year end? Always seems to have been a hub for families and the wider local community. A pity in my opinion.

ivy30 Tue 17-Oct-17 14:56:25

That would be a big disappointment as virgin has already sold off other nearby gyms and Worple road one is adults only. Where did you hear that information? I have been there only recently enquiring about the swimming classes and they did not mention any plans to close.

gazzalw Tue 17-Oct-17 15:25:16

On another local online forum wink. Here's a statement made by Merton Council too. I think they had their hand forced to say something because initially local members/residents seemed to think it was the council's fault (rather than a Virgin Active led initiative).

gazzalw Tue 17-Oct-17 15:26:14

Link didn't work - news.merton.gov.uk/2017/10/13/virgin-active-wimbledon-battle-close/

TheCommoner Tue 17-Oct-17 15:34:19

Great pity. I used to love that gym - only left it due to restricted opening hours because it's in a residential area. sad

JilledOut Wed 18-Oct-17 09:44:28

Seems a great shame, very handy for the mums dropping off their kids at Garfield school and also the job losses that will come with the closure. Be interesting to know what will happen to the site unless the council intends to grab it and turn Garfield into a 3 form entry school of course?

gazzalw Wed 18-Oct-17 10:00:32

Expect it will become another housing development, don't you?

Garfield already is three form entry in some lower down the school year groups isn't it? So it's unlikely to be that...

I suspect it was popular with local families but Virgin Active could have done much more to promote it as such.

Maybe it's 'suffered' from being relatively close to the much cheaper Better Wimbledon Leisure Centre and YMCA Wimbledon gym facilities?

maridpp Thu 02-Nov-17 19:12:41

Please help us collect digital signatures for petition to Merton Council to maintain the Battle Close venue as a family health club. Councillor Abdul Latif agreeed to take the petition to meeting with Merton Council. Deadline for signing Petition on Change.org is 12 November. Here is the link

Teddygirlonce Thu 16-Nov-17 08:43:36

Too late - apparently Merton Council has now approved the closure of Virgin Active on North Road. The official announcement is coming on Monday, 20 November. Not been given an official closing date as yet though.

Such a loss to the community :-(

LocalEditorMerton Thu 23-Nov-17 10:40:28

Update - apparently it's closing on the 15 December.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now