This song and dance about saving Merton Hall - the future of Harris Academy Wimbledon is at risk!

(13 Posts)
JilledOut Wed 20-Sep-17 12:06:12

I'm all for saving local buildings with beauty and heritage but this campaign to save Merton Hall seems a bit OTT. I cannot but think that there's NIMBYISM at play in some way. AND that they've failed to see the bigger picture - should their campaign be successful, the Elim Church won't be able to move from its current High Path location and the future of a much needed local secondary school (serving Colliers Wood/Merton Abbey/South Wimbledon families) may be thrown into jeopardy.

If we lived in Australia, where Victorian builds are rare and need to be listed and preserved, I could understand the fuss. BUT we're in England where Victorian buildings remain plentiful. So what's all the fuss about???? I cannot see that it has particular architectural or historic merit (or am I missing something?) to warrant the current level of campaigning.

Just wondering what other local parents think about it all? Wondering whether the campaign is more a point of principal by a group of local residents who don't like change and/or haven't got children to educate in the state sector.

Centrecourtwimbledon Wed 20-Sep-17 23:00:44

Surely there's somewhere else the church can go to, it doesn't have to be exactly there? After all, if a church can meet in Wimbledon Odeon or at the David Lloyd then there must be other potential venues?

TwigTheWonderKid Thu 21-Sep-17 18:36:46

I've lived in Wimbledon for almost thirty years and could weep over all the interesting buildings which we have lost in that time. Wimbledon used to be full of character and has become bland and soulless because of lack of foresight in town planning.

I have primary and high school.age children so I know how important the provision of more school places is but I am sure an alternative venue and be found for the church if the will is there.

BIWI Thu 21-Sep-17 22:44:38

The future of a school that doesn't yet exist isn't more important than a building that does.

Have you seen the plans that have been put forward for the building? They are hideous. And totally out of keeping with the local area.

I have absolutely no issue with the Elim church being given the building for their use. But I do, absolutely and vehemently, oppose the plans that they have put forward for the changes to the building.

JilledOut Fri 22-Sep-17 16:01:28

common sense prevailed I see. Just seen on Twitter: ” Merton Council Planning Committee approves the application that will see 80% of Merton Hall demolished.

TwigTheWonderKid Fri 22-Sep-17 17:54:46

I'm really sorry to hear that. What a shame

BIWI Fri 22-Sep-17 22:40:09

That's really sad sad

DeccaMitfordsEntryVisa Mon 25-Sep-17 14:26:23

I am appalled at the way the vote went. The hall is lovely. Plans are hideous.

And OP, yes I have children at state schools.

I think this whole set up is short sighted and very sad.

MrsHerculePoirot Mon 25-Sep-17 22:39:25

sad

gazzalw Fri 29-Sep-17 08:50:57

Was walking by there yesterday and yes, agree, it is a fine example of a Victorian build. However, the whole of that end of Kingston Road is a bit of a blot on the architectural landscape which somehow negates some of the fine (but overshadowed) gems in its midst.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 01-Oct-17 06:02:53

Wimbledon has really awful planning decisions.

There are other places both the school and the church could go. How sad to lose Merton hall.

BIWI Sun 01-Oct-17 09:13:13

That's true, @gazzalw - but no reason to get rid of the good stuff!

gazzalw Tue 10-Oct-17 16:40:05

The Save Merton Hall campaigners aren't giving up without a fight - they're suggesting - on Twitter - that you go along to the 12 October (7.15pm) Morden Community Forum and address your concerns to Deputy Leader of the Council, Mark Allison.

Just saying...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now