St Marys RC school Wimbledon

(10 Posts)
yellomellow Tue 19-Sep-17 20:16:05

Hi does anyone know much about this school? Im thinking of applying for my dd but we live in Mitcham so out of the area. Is there any point in applying. We are catholic and attend mass every Sunday if that makes a difference.

Teddygirlonce Wed 20-Sep-17 06:34:10

Not sure that faith primary schools have catchment areas in the same way that other state primaries do. Certainly seen children from across the borough criss-crossing Merton bound for St Mary's, Holy Trinity, Bishop Gilpin and The Priory.

Probably wisest to just email the school and ask directly. I think they will be most interested in your very regular church-going TBQH.

Good luck!

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 01-Oct-17 01:11:32

You'd have a small chance of getting in tbh - ring school and ask office for last years admission numbers - almost all went to siblings and within catchment. The child needs to have gone to mass 3 out of 4 Sundays for 3 years to qualify for entry so you'd get in on that it's just your distance that will let you down as it's a massively oversubscribed school

user1484 Sun 01-Oct-17 08:25:01

I would give it a go if I was you.
I think there are so many versions about who gets into schools and who doesn't.
I exchanged emails with the school head when my daughter's application went in, explained to her that didn't attend mass but that I was a Catholic and intended to raise her as one and start going to mass.
I think she appreciated me being sincere and although my daughter ended up going to another school (Long story), I feel confident we would have been offered a place.
Also, a friend of my daughter, whose family are also Catholic but don't attend mass were offered a place, and they live up in the Village.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 01-Oct-17 08:27:52

I would ignore hear say and look at the facts - user you'll not get in unless the child has been going regularly for three years. They had about 600 applications last year about 150 of which the kids had gone to mass regularly for 3 years, for 60 places.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 01-Oct-17 08:28:58

I don't know how your friend was offered a place but clearly they lied on their form....

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:25:47

I don't mean to be rude about your friend but as a fact - only children who have attended mass regularly get in and then there is still a waiting list of them so the only way your friend would have got a place is to have said that they did and got a priest to sign off the form confirming that. It's lying in my book if they did and haven't been going to book and is not fair to the legions of honest parents going to mass regularly.

user1484 Sun 01-Oct-17 09:57:39

Don't worry blueberry, she didn't take it up so she didn't take up someone else's space.
I know her very well and she would tell me if she had lied.
All I'm saying is don't give up without trying if you're keen on your child to go to a certain school.
Like another poster said, I see LOTS of kids on their way to state schools every morning coming really far from the schools and I'm talking Reception /Year 1 ones, not older ones that may have moved after joining.

Blueberrysandgrapes76 Sun 01-Oct-17 10:11:04

Ok - good! I know it's easy to get caught up on myths of applications - best way is to speak directly to the school

Teddygirlonce Mon 02-Oct-17 07:27:26

There are families across the borough (including Colliers Wood and Mitcham) with children at St Mary's RC Primary School.

Would go for it, OP (particularly if you're a very regular church-goer). You have nothing to lose!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now