7+ entrance exams, Importance of Head's Report

(5 Posts)
Clueless23 Fri 09-Dec-16 20:43:44

Hello, My DS is sitting the 7+ coming up. He is what they want: enthusiastic, motivated, kind, eager to learn and wanting to excel. (No tutoring, does not attend prep school, cannot play instruments, however takes part in too many extracurricular activities.) His problem: cannot shut up. Has a terrible habit of calling out/interrupting. I have time and again discussed this issue w DS, and every time it seems it's getting better, but then it's back to where it was. I'm seriously suspecting the Head will point it out in his recommendation letter. Other than this problem, the teachers report on DS is superb. Of course, he has to perform well, which he will/should, but does this one major problem pose a serious issue in consideration of acceptance to St Paul's/ KCJS? Any thoughts very welcome. Feeling utterly depressed.

elemis Sat 10-Dec-16 18:50:14

My ds is like this
I wouldn't think it would be commented on in a letter of recommendation.
Can you ask to see the letter?

Clueless23 Sat 10-Dec-16 19:24:53

Didn't think of that!Perhaps can ask... Thank you!

mumlife9 Tue 13-Dec-16 10:36:28

I would have a informal chat with the head firstly whether it is an issue at all. They would have a cohort of similar children, and schools have strategies to help. Besides he might be doing it at home only.
After all he is young, and some kids can exercise self control on somethings and some on other things. And finally, I don't think such things would be written. Even if the head doesn't share the report - a format of what is usually written can be requested. And you can estimate what could be the things that will be written.

I do understand the immediate need is to get in to the future school but I would have expected the school to have strategies already in place to curb interrupting and help him overall and not just for school admission. More importantly each of the above schools have a interview processes built in the assessment process, so best to help him work on it.

All the best for the assessments.

Clueless23 Wed 21-Dec-16 21:36:13

Thank you for the reassurance mumlife9! I appreciate your thoughts- & it is too late to have a chat w HM- reports already sent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now