The MN MERTON & WIMBLEDON BOOK GROUP is up and runnning and we'd love you to join us (next meet-up at a Korean restaurant in Raynes Park)!

(8 Posts)
LocalEditorMerton Fri 14-Aug-15 17:05:44

Our book group has now been running for some six months. We've even got our own username for participating in the monthly Mumsnet Book-of-the-Month webchats. We meet up on a Thursday evening (every six - eight weeks), from 7.30pm (or as soon as you can make it, after tucking the DCs into bed for the night).

As well as lots of literary chat, when we last met in July we touched on all manner of subjects including local eateries. In a moment of midsummer merriment, we decided that we should combine food and books at the next meet-up.

So when we hold our next book group session on Thursday, 24 September, it will be at Cah Chi (34 Durham Road, London SW20 0TW). Here's the menu. The table is booked under either MN Wimbledon Book Group or Jamie for 7.30pm.

"Barbecue dishes are the speciality of this longstanding family-run restaurant with branches in both Raynes Park and Earlsfield. An impressive array of different cuts of beef, plus chicken, pork, prawn and seafood is served, all marinated and ready to be flung onto the hot plates at the centre of each table; it?s similar to many Korean restaurants on paper, but the deep and complex spicing of the marinade, plus the quality of the meat sets it apart. This is also a good place to try yukhoe, a Korean take on steak tartare that?s blended with soy and garlic, served with refreshing Asian pear. Both restaurants are BYO for wine only, but serve beer and spirits. They?re also cash only, but the food is such good value that it?s hard to push much over £25 a head." (www.londonist.com)

Please do come and join us - you are most welcome! We have three book up for discussion (read what you can!), as well as (m)any others read by our Merton Mumsnetters on their summer hols:

The Paying Guests (Sarah Waters) which is the focus of September's MN webchat;
Wanting (Richard Flanagan);
The Good Girl(Fiona Neill)

We look forward to meeting you. If you're interested, please also sign up here, so you're kept abreast of any changes to the arrangment.

Kate smile

FoxForce5 Sun 16-Aug-15 21:19:41

Hi just to second what Kate said...it's always a really good evening when we get together. It always starts off quite sensibly with good discussions about the books at hand but regularly veers off-topic (!) and has been great for getting to know other Mumsnetters. We'd love to meet more locals and we are generally quite friendlysmile so please do come along and join us if you've been considering it.

LocalEditorMerton Tue 18-Aug-15 09:17:29

Thanks, FoxForce5.

And here's the The Good Girl debate ongoing on our site and the main Mumsnet one too.

DeccaMitfordsEntryVisa Tue 13-Oct-15 14:31:12

Hi all, I am back, re-registered after the weirdness over the summer. (previously PP type name)

Please could you add me back to the book group for updates etc.

Many thanks

LocalEditorMerton Tue 13-Oct-15 21:02:58

Aha, welcome back DeccaMitfordsEntryVisa. Hope all is well with you?

Next meet-up is 5th November in our usual haunt - we'd love to see you there. Were you sent a copy of Sweet Caress by William Boyd? I've finished reading my copy of The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty, if you want to borrow mine? PM me if so.

Hope to see you at the next meet-up. Fingers crossed.

DeccaMitfordsEntryVisa Wed 14-Oct-15 08:45:37

Hi, yes, I have a copy of Sweet Caress thanks. I can't seem to join the group 'link' thing as it says it is not working. (I am sure it's just me being rubbish!)

In typical fashion I am due to be in Dorset on 5th for a friend's birthday. But I might be able to switch a bit.

LocalEditorMerton Mon 09-Nov-15 10:50:35

Hi DeccaMitfordsEntryVisa

We're planning on holding a seasonal soiree, at Absolute Abode (Raynes Park), before Christmas.

We'd love to meet you, so if you'd like to meet some merry Merton mummies, please do join in the discussion - we're currently trying to settle on a date (by 12 November preferably).

Talk thread here: bit.ly/1PkheUc

Thanks!

Kate santa

DeccaMitfordsEntryVisa Mon 09-Nov-15 16:10:43

Sorry for my silence, my daughter ended up in hospital last week. She is out now.

I'd love to join you for a meet up please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now