Can you help one local Mumsnetter? - secondary school education query

(5 Posts)
LocalEditorMerton Sat 18-Jul-15 10:11:27

Posting on behalf of a local Mumsnetter who's not currently got access to technology!

"Please could you ask your members to recommend secondary schools that have an excellent SEN policy. I'm desperate that DD will find a school that will give her 100%."

Her DD is going into Year 6 in September so insights before the new academic year starts would be very helpful!

Thanks

Kate

PheasantPlucker Sat 18-Jul-15 12:20:19

Hi, just to clarify, you're asking re mainstream secondaries?

(My eldest is at a fabulous special school, but I am guessing this is not what you want?)

It might also depend on what the dd's diagnosis is - I understand there are some good units at secondary schools for young people with ASD. If the dx is more physical then I guess she'll need accessibility.

Also, is the dd's family keen for her to access a school within Merton, or open to our of borough placements? (Our primary school feeds into schools in Merton and Kingston, as well as a CofE secondary in Wandsworth borough)

All the best x

LocalEditorMerton Sat 18-Jul-15 13:01:10

Hi PheasantPlucker

I think she's looking for a mainstream secondary school as her DD is currently in mainstream state primary provision locally.

Not sure of her DD's diagnosis TBQH.

I would imagine that she will be looking for schools either in Merton or surrounding boroughs, although if an ideal school was further afield she may possibly consider it (DD is her only child).

Thanks for commenting!

LocalEditorMerton Tue 21-Jul-15 13:19:51

Just to say that the DD has dyspraxia.

PheasantPlucker Sat 25-Jul-15 11:12:22

Hi, maybe she needs to contact the SENCOs at the various Merton schools and have a chat. This is generally the best way forward with a condition like dyspraxia.

Does the daughter have a statement/ECHP? If she does she will basically be able to request a particular school in the statement/ECHP. (Although I suspect she won't unless the condition is severe)

I hope all goes well, sorry I cannot be of further specific help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now