Moving to Mitcham advice

(6 Posts)
PipsterT Sun 31-May-15 14:31:55

Hi everyone. I'm looking at buying a house on love lane, the church road end, and just wanted to ask advice of area round there. The neighbours all seem really nice and lived there for years but I'm not sure of the direct area around there and the church (house is sort of next door to it). I don't have kids but I will be commuting from colliers wood so would be walking up church road in the mornings/evenings most of the time unless I get lazy and get the bus. I know Mitcham gets bad press and has its bad areas (where doesn't?!) but I'd really like to hear from people who live and know the area as I know it's supposed to be regenerating - it's an expensive mistake to make if I don't do my research properly. There is a temporary housing place on church road, near Vicarage gardens I think does anyone know if there is trouble round there. Thanks and I hope I hear from someone

MitchamBelle Sun 31-May-15 22:53:52

Hi there Pipster,
I'm local to the Mitcham area, living not far from the Western Rd end of Love Lane. I'd say the area is definitely up and coming, and moving here now before the prices skyrocket is probably very good timing! In the 8 years we've lived here we've benefited from the development of the Asda supermarket, the new housing development off Portland Road, and the redevelopment of the social housing on Bond Road. They've all helped cheer up the place, although there is obviously still room for improvement! We are using the shops in Mitcham town centre more lately, and are looking forward to the works to the the market being finished as I think this will improve the look and the accessibility and increase local pride. Having said all that positive stuff, we don't really go out in Mitcham socially. I think that's mainly because most of our relatives and friends are based in and around Wimbledon, but I can't speak for what the pubs and eateries are like because we don't really use them. Oh, and community spirit is definitely alive and kicking. Check in the Wimbledon Guardian to see how locals have rallied around to help the chap whose home was recently destroyed by fire and you'll see what I mean smile
HTH

MitchamBelle Sun 31-May-15 22:53:54

Hi there Pipster,
I'm local to the Mitcham area, living not far from the Western Rd end of Love Lane. I'd say the area is definitely up and coming, and moving here now before the prices skyrocket is probably very good timing! In the 8 years we've lived here we've benefited from the development of the Asda supermarket, the new housing development off Portland Road, and the redevelopment of the social housing on Bond Road. They've all helped cheer up the place, although there is obviously still room for improvement! We are using the shops in Mitcham town centre more lately, and are looking forward to the works to the the market being finished as I think this will improve the look and the accessibility and increase local pride. Having said all that positive stuff, we don't really go out in Mitcham socially. I think that's mainly because most of our relatives and friends are based in and around Wimbledon, but I can't speak for what the pubs and eateries are like because we don't really use them. Oh, and community spirit is definitely alive and kicking. Check in the Wimbledon Guardian to see how locals have rallied around to help the chap whose home was recently destroyed by fire and you'll see what I mean smile
HTH

HaydonWomble Mon 01-Jun-15 08:10:36

Yes, there is clear evidence from building work, extensions and loft conversions going on to suggest that Mitcham is up and coming (and lots more people around jogging - always a sign of gentrification!). It makes sense as it's really the only affordable part of Merton left for young, public sector families. So as MitchamBelle says, buy now before you're priced out of the market.

Mitcham does have bad press and undoubtedly there are some areas that others in the borough would disdain, but it's a very diverse community which makes it vibrant and 'real', probably rather like parts of Wandsworth used to be (particularly Battersea - and look how that's changed!).

Agree with MitchamBelle that we too don't really go into Mitcham (ever!) but that's because it's effectively 'out of our way' in terms of the transport links we use, where we go out, where the DCs go to school etc...but that's possibly because we've lived in the area since it was less up and coming than it now evidently is.

The Gorringe Park Pub is great, a bit boho, community spirited and definitely chichi (but in a good way) and on the Merton side of Tooting Borders - and there, if you need the evidence, is a small green shoot of what will come and spread through this erstwhile 'unfashionable' side of the borough.

It's got good transport links, particularly up where you're considering living. Have never ventured up Western Road or Church Lane late evening, couldn't pass judgement on how safe you'd be on foot, but would imagine that at usual commuting times you'd be absolutely fine - in fact it would be just a case of observing the same safety walking home practices that you'd adopt anywhere in London, from Notting Hill to Neasden, Knightsbridge to Kenton.

Just to say that only once in all the time we've lived around here, have we experienced anything approaching 'trouble', and that was around the Tandem Centre on a summer's afternoon (so technically Colliers Wood anyway). And the incident could just have easily happened in Balham, Wimbledon or even Kingston. The young men involved were obviously high on dope and out to impress an accompanying girlfried (so all brash bravado).

And what's more there is actually some fantastic and interesting housing stock, if you look around. I'm sure the same would have been said of Balham thirty-forty years ago!

In many ways, I would say that people in Mitcham look after their own, even if you're not to the 'Mitcham manor born and bred' wink, and that's possibly where its diversity works to 'incomers' advantage!

Hope that helps?

HaydonWomble Thu 18-Jun-15 18:02:53

PipsterT did our views on Mitcham send you running for a more genteel neighbourhood??? You've gone terribly quiet.

Seriously though, it's on the up particularly amongst young and public sector worker families priced out of most of the rest of Merton.

You could do a lot worse, but you do need to be strategic, particularly if you think you might settle down and start a family in the environs...The schools on the Mitcham/Morden side of the borough are a lot more variable than on the 'smarter'side of Merton.

MajorClanger63 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:39:04

Lots of people jogging these days on the Colliers Wood/Mitcham borders so I'd say the area is definitely on the up. More copies of the Times, Guardian and Independent in the corner shop too, what a giveaway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now