Continuing to build local support for new primary school.

(9 Posts)
Curiouser2 Mon 24-Mar-14 17:09:29

Hello again.
Thank you to those of you who have already shown your interest in our school. We have 6 weeks now until handing in our application and building our support from local parents is definitely our priority.

Our meeting this weekend was very positive and the parents who attended found it really useful to be able to ask exactly how the school is going to work in practice. Many of them said they needed the chance to talk it through as it is different from their own experience.
Please take a look at our website www.curiouserandco.co.uk

Talking to my friends as well as local parents I think we are all getting worried about April and finding out which school they will have got into. It would be great if some of you would be interested in finding out more about our school.
Our next meeting is on Sat 5th of April, 10.30 in the YMCA cafe.

I would also be happy to try and find times to meet up if our meetings are not convenient for you.
Thank you
Nikki

Curiouser2 Mon 24-Mar-14 17:10:15

www.curiouserandco.co.uk

Curiouser2 Mon 31-Mar-14 19:48:18

Back again, just to say we would love to see you on Saturday morning,
Thanks

LocalEditorMerton Mon 31-Mar-14 20:04:58

Hi Nikki,

just wondering whether you will get more active interest on the website once the annual reception class allocations have taken place on 16th April? Imagine so!

Best wishes and good luck.

LocalEditorMerton Tue 01-Apr-14 11:59:55

If you live in Merton and have DCs who are approaching primary school age, you may be interested in www.curiouserandco.co.uk Wimbledon-based proposed free school.

Curiouser & Co have asked me to share this survey if you wish to register an interest.

Curiouser2 Tue 01-Apr-14 15:22:28

Thank you, yes I am waiting for that too as my oldest will start this Sept, but not sure what we will do as we didn't get a state nursery place. That being one of the catalysts for the free school application! And one of the reasons our school will start with a Reception and a Year 1 class. Thank you for your support.

Senderipity Tue 01-Apr-14 22:21:56

Hi
I was just wondering whether you have a site in mind for the school? I'm sure a lot of parents would need to know location before expressing an interest, as proximity to home is a very important factor (for me at least). Have you identified a site or do you gather evidence of demand then find a location? Also, given that many of the best Merton primaries are progressing to 2 form entry, I would have thought there was enough capacity to meet demand, for a few more years at least. I'd be interested to hear more....
Thanks

Curiouser2 Tue 01-Apr-14 23:36:49

Hello, I know it is a frustrating process as the site comes once we are approved, and even then it can't really be mentioned until finalised. A few schools have had the problem where the preferred site has got out and then been swamped with developers, so the school has lost out.
At this stage it is for us to prove that if we opened our school that there are parents who would select it as first choice, that people are genuinely interested in our approach.
The council have worked really hard with their school expansion plan but it doesn't cover the shortfall. I should know the exact figures but in bed now after a long small child filled day and my brain is smush, it is a substantial shortfall still.
We hope our school will help address this as well as give parents and children a really innovative new choice. Sounds a bit cheesy but we are really passionate about education and childhood and aim to create something that enhances both. Lots of the teams children will be attending so we are obviously very invested in it being a great school.

Senderipity Wed 02-Apr-14 17:23:56

Thanks, that's really helpful to know the process and why you can't reveal the preferred site. Good luck with the application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now