Advice needed: St Marys RC Primary School

(5 Posts)
TwoSpoonsofSugar Sun 23-Mar-14 23:36:52

Hi, we'd love to send our DS to St Mary's. We are practicing RCs and whilst we do attend church regularly we still worry about the strict weekly attendance for 3 years requirement. Th school is so heavily over subscribed. Would anyone have any advice on whether they think that getting a nursery place there will increase the chances of being offered a place at Reception level? The admissions process states that having a nursery place does not give priority or guarantee a Reception place, but I still wonder whether in practice it would increase our chances and therefore be worth applying for and moving DS from his current nursery if we get offered a place? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Willemdefoeismine Mon 24-Mar-14 07:25:09

No, I don't think it has any impact at all. It can't as it would effectively penalise parents whose children are in other types of nursery provision.

A lot of DCs are in private all-day nurseries until Reception age because their parents work full-time and it's just the easiest and most convenient form of childcare. So there's a massive 'hidden' cohort who should be in school nurseries but who aren't. And in the affluent parts of Merton (mainly Wimbledon) you will probably find significant numbers of children in school nurseries then have to move schools for Reception to make way for these 'hidden' children.

I know that in my DS's year several of his peers had been at Bishop Gilpin (another faith school) for nursery provision and then had to move to (perceived to be) less desirable schools to make way for this hidden group of more local (and possibly more church attending) group of children.

So my advice would be to leave your son where he is. It's worth checking with the school and the Council Admissions Dept too but sure they'll say the same....

Senderipity Mon 24-Mar-14 21:27:58

No, unfortunately it doesn't make a difference. Good luck with trying to get a place, you never know.

VictoryGirl Mon 24-Mar-14 22:09:57

Makes no difference though most of DD's classmates from her nursery class did get in.

Once you keep up with the mass going and live in the catchment you should be ok. Have you made yourself known to the priest?

Willemdefoeismine Thu 27-Mar-14 22:44:14

St Mary's is going two form entry so that will increase everyone
s chances of getting their DCs in there...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now