Someone with local knowledge of South Wimbledon, please help

(6 Posts)
Rosebag Wed 19-Mar-14 23:14:10

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but maybe someone can help. I have to drive to a place near South Wimbledon station/ Merton Park in a day or so and will need to park for around 6-7 hours. It all seems to be parking zones for a big radius around the area. Can any one suggest where I might find a space. I don't mind paying but there seems to be restrictions on how long I could park for ie less than the time I need. I don't mind parking a bit of a way away and walking or taking a short train or bus/ tram ride. Any ideas welcomed as I don't know the area at all. Thanks in advance.

Willemdefoeismine Thu 20-Mar-14 06:43:35

This might help you:

http://www.merton.gov.uk/transport-streets/parking/cpz_boundary_-_carton_web_nov_13.pdf

I would say that you might need to park more towards Morden or the Merton Abbey/Mitcham borders....

Pretty sure that anywhere around Deen City Farm bordering onto Western Road would be parking without meters. Or possibly somewhere in the big industrial estate off Morden Road (where Homebase & Wickes are) - it would only be a 10 minute walk (or a very quick bus ride) to South Wimbledon Station from there.....

Once upon a time you would have been able to park somewhere on the High Path Estate but residents now have permits and the areas are regularly monitored by traffic wardens.

Sainsbury's has free parking for up to four hours but not sure what the deal would be with parking for 6 - 7 hours (if indeed it's permissable...)

You might need to go out and have a recce. Hopefully someone else will be along to help with suggestions.

Rosebag Thu 20-Mar-14 13:56:03

Thanks very much Willem. Really helpful. I can see there might be scope to park outside the zone in the Merton park area or as you say nearer to Morden. I'm doing off the A3 so will attempt to park short of the venue in these areas. I haven't completely rules out using public transport but we'll see.

TortorSW17 Thu 20-Mar-14 18:11:07

is it a weekday when yuo need to park? Soem roads in Merton park are unrestricted at weekedn - I haev secret pace off Kingston Rd! Tehre is a car park just opposite Sth Wimlb stn where yuo can park for the day I beleive and not too expensive I think - its behind the Tesco express on the corner but unless I happen to drive past in next few dasy not sure of cost. Parking in Windsor/Liberty Ave is free. Be careful of Sainsburys as it may haev a camera adn take photo evidenc if yuo stay longer than 4 hrs.

OffallyGOod Sun 23-Mar-14 21:11:33

If you let me know when you're coming I could let you have a permit for a road opposite South Wimbledon tube. It is a yearly permit so I would need it back.
Message me

Senderipity Mon 24-Mar-14 21:33:52

The car park directly opposite the tube (mentioned by previous poster) is privately owned and I think you buy tickets from the coffee shop opposite! I think you can park there all day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now