Gathering evidence of demand for new school

(15 Posts)
Curiouser Fri 07-Mar-14 08:42:27

We will be handing our application to open our school to the DfE in 9 weeks and would really love your support.

Our school is built on 3 core beliefs;

1. Children should be at the heart of their learning:
Our school curriculum will be built on a child-led project based learning approach. The children and teachers will work together to develop personalised learning journeys, using each child's interests and passions as the starting point. We believe this will ensure that the children remain engaged and enthusiastic about learning, continuing to develop and capitalise on their natural curiosity, desire to investigate, explore and discover. It also allows the flexibility for each child to learn at their own pace, so no child will be held back or left behind.

2. Families should at the heart of our school:
The school day and term times we currently have are a leftover from a bygone era, but life has moved on. We think schools should similarly evolve to support children's learning and just as importantly differing family circumstances. Our aim is deliver more flexible school days and term times that are suited to the needs of modern life.

3. The school should be at the heart of the community:
Children have been shown to be most engaged and invested in their learning when it has a real audience and purpose. In this way we aim to embed as many projects as we can in the local community. To support this we are building a 'community cloud' - a network of local people and businesses that are willing to volunteer their time and expertise to our children.
Do you support the vision of our proposed school?
We are really proud and passionate about the school and its approaches. Please visit our website to learn more and register your interest.
www.curiouserandco.co.uk/

We would love to tell you more and answer your questions at our next meetings,
Sat 22nd of March and Sat 5th May, in the upstairs cafe of the YMCA at 10.30 am.
You can also follow us on Twitter @Curiouserandco or Facebook at Curiouser & Co

OffallyGOod Mon 10-Mar-14 20:12:48

Curiouser are you only taking reception Nd yr 1 children to start with or older children as well?

Curiouser2 Sat 15-Mar-14 20:28:51

Oh gosh! Sorry I missed your question, on my phone now so have had to log in as my normal mumsnet name, hence strange new name.
Yes unfortunately we are only starting with Reception and Year 1. Even this is a bit out the ordinary as it is usual to start with just reception, but a lot of the team members including myself will have Year 1 age children.
We had initially hoped to open an all through school but were advised to break our application into 2 sections, so if we are successful we will then work towards opening a secondary.
If you like the approach please keep in contact as (fingers crossed) we might be ready when your child/ten are looking for secondary...
Sorry again for slow response.

Willemdefoeismine Sat 15-Mar-14 20:59:03

So when would you be hoping to open the secondary school - not until the Year 1s get to that age/stage or sooner...?????

Curiouser2 Sun 16-Mar-14 15:31:39

Sooner, if we are successful with our primary application we would start working on our secondary one then. So possibly looking at 2017/18?

Willemdefoeismine Sun 16-Mar-14 19:48:08

So that would be the academic year 2017/18 - drat DD would miss it by a year........

Curiouser2 Sun 16-Mar-14 23:10:30

Oh boo! I think realistically that would be our earliest. I know there is a school with a similar ethos who have applied this January to open 2015 in Hammersmith, but you never know where their site may end up. The bid was put in by Ian Livingstone so you could have google and see if you like it?
Thanks for your interest.

Willemdefoeismine Tue 18-Mar-14 20:06:57

No worries although I'm getting increasingly nervous about options in Merton once our DD gets to that age/stage....worrying.....

Good luck with the meeting on Saturday though! Sure there will be lots of interest. That part of Wimbledon is a bit of a Bermuda Triangle as far as securing a good primary school place is concerned!

Curiouser2 Thu 20-Mar-14 12:22:28

This is a link to the secondary in Hammersmith, I know it is further away but if it is successful they may look to open others, I believe the process is easier once you have been approved once.
http://www.livingstoneschoolhammersmith.com/

Curiouser2 Thu 20-Mar-14 12:22:44

www.livingstoneschoolhammersmith.com/

CentreCourtWimbledon Thu 20-Mar-14 13:07:46

I've read some of your website and I hope that the teachers won't be people who have written it! Spelling and punctuation mistakes in the first 2 sentences I read.

Good luck though, a new primary school is desperately needed in the area.

Curiouser2 Thu 20-Mar-14 13:55:13

Yeah I know, oops, it was cut and pasted from elsewhere and it has meant to have been edited but you are right the mistake is still there!
I will remind our web savvy person!
I hope it didn't stop you gaining an idea of our vision though. Thank you reading it.

CentreCourtWimbledon Thu 20-Mar-14 21:03:48

You're welcome. I admire what you're doing. Sadly (or not!) my kids are approaching the end of primary so I won't be using the school when it opens but I wish you every success

Willemdefoeismine Sat 22-Mar-14 14:32:15

Hope your meeting went well Curiouser2?

Thanks for the information on the free secondary school in Hammersmith too!

Wishing you every success with your venture!

Curiouser2 Sun 23-Mar-14 11:36:18

Thank you!
The meeting was good, small but really positive. Onwards and upwards (fingers and toes crossed)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now