Is South Wimbledon (High Path) safe?

(10 Posts)
melko Sun 23-Feb-14 22:47:36

Hi All
I am thinking of living in South Wimbledon area, actually a flat in Ramsey House in High Path. I am quite concerned about safety there as I am a single woman, in my thirties and will be living alone. Can anyone advise me about this place? should I be concerned or not?
I have checked met police crime stats, 90 reported in Dec 2013, not very high in that part of area, but in my opinion, it doesn't give a true reflection of safety. If anyone can advise, that would be very helpful
Thanks

Willemdefoeismine Mon 24-Feb-14 07:45:22

Hi Melko

I have a friend who lives there with her DC. As far as I know she's not experienced many problems at all (no more so than living anywhere else in London including the more chichi parts of Merton) and whenever I've visited (during the day), it's always seemed very peaceful. The only issue she's had is that she lives near one of the communal gardens and has open stairways that anyone can access so they've had youngsters hanging around (although from Mitcham - not from the estate) but seems less of a problem now than it was.

It certainly hasn't got the same reputation as Phipps Bridge.....

Is Ramsey House a high-rise block or a low-rise one and is it on the periphery or in the middle of the estate? That might make a difference?

There used to be a neighbourhood police team based in an office on the estate which I think is now closed? That might have had an influence on crime figures etc...

I guess it depends on whether you will be out and about in the evenings etc....coming in very late? Do you have a car? I would suggest possibly just going on a drive-around the area at different times of the day and see how it feels to you?

For what it's worth, where my friend lives, there's a lot of older people and families (a very stable population of residents so they do all look out for each other and aware of 'who's known' and who's a stranger! I would suggest knocking on the doors of potential neighbours and having a chat....

On the very positive side though it's very well positioned for transport links, close to the huge Sainsbury's/M&S etc.... and because it's quite a 'narrow' estate you are from one side to 'other in a matter of minutes... and it's got lots of short roads running thro' it too.

melko Mon 24-Feb-14 14:26:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Willemdefoeismine Mon 24-Feb-14 15:33:02

Hi Melko

good luck with your viewing...

You might want to report your last post for deletion as you've given away a lot of info!

Trying to get friend to comment at some point so do keep an eye on your original post!

6.00 - 7.00 pm return home time is not late and of course the evenings are getting lighter so I'm sure there would be no issues particularly in summer months at that early time of the evening. I guess the thing you've really got to consider is if you would feel safe walking to your potential flat late at night if you go out....

If my memory serves me correctly there's a small pub on that side of the estate possibly not far from the flat that you are looking at....that could have repercussions in terms of late night noise??? Not sure though as it's a pretty small pub.

Not sure what the 'High Path' side is like - it's certainly a lot quieter during the day (which is nicer for walking along) but possibly a bit too dark at night-time - not sure?

I guess it depends what you're used to too...

FWIW not sure you read much about crime on the estate in the local papers - worth perhaps doing a search. I think the Community Police Office/Station closed down to save money primarily....

Fingers crossed that someone 'in the know' with first hand experience comes along and gives you additional insights.

melko Mon 24-Feb-14 16:01:27

Hi

Thanks, I've reported my post but have no idea how long it takes the website to respond.

I think there is a small pub, but I can not envisage it being too loud or dangerous?, I currently live in Fulham Broadway and weekend nights can be a bit noisy, not dangerous though, and especially when Chelsea FC are playing, I hear police cars from my flat so a small pub doesnt bother me so much..well not on paper anyway

Thanks again, if anyone's got anything else to add that might be useful, that would be great. But so far, the points mentioned haven't really put me off, will see if I feel the same tomorrow

melko Mon 24-Feb-14 16:30:55

Sorry just to re post my message again, as I deleted the previous one. The flat is in a low rise block, there's 3 floors and its on the main road so wouldn't need to walk in the middle of the estate. It has phone entry so at least its secure enough. Hope this helps in answering your first post

Willemdefoeismine Tue 25-Feb-14 11:24:59

Hope your viewing went okay Melko? What did you think?

melko Tue 25-Feb-14 11:46:34

Hi there

Well the surrounding area was fine, I got off the bus, and walked literally 2 mins through the estate to the flat, and didn't feel uncomfortable or anything. In fact I could see the main road from the flat entrance so you're right, its quite narrow, near the main road and the transport links (bus stop, tube station). Along High path road itself, was well lit, with street lights and that didn't feel seedy either

Thanks for the info, I'll just keep looking for another one knowing that the area isn't so bad after all :-)

melko Tue 25-Feb-14 11:47:25

Though the flat itself wasn't really for me, so I'll keep looking

Willemdefoeismine Tue 25-Feb-14 12:22:46

Well good that you thought the area was okay but not so good the flat didn't suit. Good luck with your search!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now