Anyone know the rules for registering for a state primary place whilst abroad?

(8 Posts)
orangetickle Thu 31-Jan-13 00:39:44

We're currently living in the USA.

We own a property in Merton, have lived there for a number of years (DD was born there) and intend to return in time for DD to begin primary school (September '14). Our house is currently let to tenants, and we do not pay council tax.

I've just had a tip-off that we won't be able to apply for a primary place whilst living abroad: that you have to actually be living in Merton at the time of application.

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, we'll have to return in September this year - a year earlier than planned...


Greydove Thu 31-Jan-13 11:23:54

yes you can't apply until you are resident in the UK
deadline is usually Jan/Feb for applications

orangetickle Thu 31-Jan-13 13:11:18

Thanks. As I feared. Seems a trifle unfair, but at least we know now rather than this time next year.

Filthycop Mon 04-Feb-13 23:50:08

There are some circumstances when you can apply from abroad if you are going to be back in time to start in Septmeber - like if you're going back to the home you lived in before you moved. contact school admissions for proper details about what is accepted:

2BoysSW19 Thu 07-Feb-13 12:52:28

I applied for DS whilst living in NZ, very similar circums to OP. However we had to be physically back in the UK by mid Feb prior to September school start date. This time last year, we literally dropped off our luggage after a 26 hour flight, went to Merton council to re-register for council tax and gave the school applications department a copy of our council tax registration.

So unless the rules have changed you can stay overseas until the beginning of 2014, but make sure you apply online before you get back.

orangetickle Thu 07-Feb-13 18:44:26

2Boys that's interesting. What was special about the date you had to be back by?): was it the closing date for applications?

2BoysSW19 Sun 10-Feb-13 17:14:25

Yes, it was the closing date for people moving into the borough, or changing address after the normal closing date. It seems to be approx a month after the normal closing date in January. So you get an extra month's leeway IYSWIM.

Filthycop Mon 18-Feb-13 11:14:10

Someone I know was able to do it and they returned in July - they had the right paperwork and didn't have to physically be here - they'd been on a secondment overseas and were returning to the family home, which is what I believe is required for the applicaion to be considered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now