Local schools

(14 Posts)
Holmes22 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:08:30

Hello,

We have just moved to West Timperley from down south. We received the outcome of our son's school application on Friday. Unfortunately he has not got in to any of our chosen 5 schools due to them all being full.

Has anyone else been in this situation and have appealed?

Many Thanks.

mandy214 Mon 06-Feb-17 19:55:08

If you go on the main mumsnet website under "primary education" there are some really knowledgeable mumsnetters who will be able to help.

Did you meet the timescales for applying or did you move after the deadline? As far as I know you're unlikely to succeed on appeal unless you can show a school hasn't applied their over subscription criteria properly as class sizes must be strictly adhered to. I think the advice is to get on the waiting lists as some people may not take up places they've been offered.

Holmes22 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:21:43

Thank you very much for this. We have made a mid year application as we moved from Essex to Trafford so were out of area.

mandy214 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:14:48

Good luck

TheMightyMing Tue 07-Feb-17 06:20:39

Did you get any offers and what were they?

Monr0e Tue 07-Feb-17 19:02:05

Which schools did you apply to?
Trafford schools are notoriously oversubscribed unfortunately. Which is closest to where you live?
Have you asked to be put on the waiting list for them all?

Holmes22 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:13:19

Hello, we were told that there is a place at Broadheath.

We are 0.1 miles from Park Road - this was our first preference. We also put Brooklands, Cloverlea, Willows and Tyntesfield.

We have asked to be put on each if the aboves waiting lists.

Monr0e Tue 07-Feb-17 19:27:16

If you are so close to Park Road you could try Heyes Lane Primary. It is a bigger school so maybe more chance of a place being available?
How old is DS? Good luck with getting a place soon

Holmes22 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:16

DS is in year 1.

We did wonder about Heyes Lane but worried about the size of it.

Does anyone have any experience of Heyes Lane?

Monr0e Tue 07-Feb-17 19:58:29

My 2 DC'S go there smile
So I may be a bit biased but they both love it. DS is year 6 and DD year 2, they are both doing great there and we have never had any problems.
You obviously want to find the best fit for your DS but it might be worth arranging a visit to the school to see what you think?
I'd be happy to answer any questions about the school if you have any

Holmes22 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:17:39

Thank you - that is very helpful Monr0e. We don't know anyone in the area with children of school age to ask.

Our DS is quite quiet until he know people well so we thought that a large school, may be a bit overwhelming. Especially as we have made a big mive from near London to here.

If I think of any specific questions then I will let you know. In the meantime i may arrange a visit..

itsahen Tue 07-Feb-17 22:57:44

I know several at Heyes Lane and they all love it. Drop your concerns about 3 form primaries - they are becoming the norm in our area near by and totally fine. They are organised differently and the children mainly interact with other classes in their year as opposed to the whole schoo. They can be amazing for quiet children.

mandy214 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:38:10

Just to add, there is often movement at the start of Yr 3 (several of the private prep / junior schools have another intake at Yr 3 so some children leave state primary at the end of Yr 2 to take up these private places). So whilst its not ideal, you may have to wait a while but you are likely to get a place at the start of Year 3 at one of your preferred schools, even if places are not available before then.

Monr0e Wed 08-Feb-17 10:07:15

Are you on Facebook? If so there is a group, Sale Timperley and Altrincham mums and dads social, if you join I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on the local schools.

Also if it helps I have the email for the deputy head at Heyes, lovely lady. I could forward it to you if you wanted to contact her direct to arrange a visit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now