Wythenshawe vs St. Marys

(16 Posts)
MAMAlil2014 Wed 16-Nov-16 15:30:35

Hi all

New to the area and baby is due March 2017. Wondering if any of you have recent experiences of having your baby in either of these hospitals? Been to midwife this week, it's looking like I might need a c-section, she's told me to have a think about which hospital I want to have baby at before next appointment in a few weeks.

Thanks!

Shamaz Wed 16-Nov-16 16:35:12

Hi. My experience is based on 2011. I went to St. Mary's and they were good. Not c section though, sorry!

BrainYoga Wed 16-Nov-16 19:08:49

I had DS in 2015 at Wythenshawe, EMCS.

The CS itself was very good, excellent medical team, good aftercare. DS was in the SCBU for 5 days so I was there for a week. The facilities on the post-natal ward aren't really great when you're there for a week (e.g. I had a private room with its own bathroom, but no light in it), but for a couple of days you'll be fine. Staff are very busy and you may have to make a bit of a noise if you want something, but I only met one I wouldn't want to again.

The one thing that really, really pissed me off though was the food! I don't know how they think it's OK to feed women recovering from major physical events that crap. Breakfast and lunch are OK, but dinner is pre-packed/frozen microwave pap. One time I got the tomato pasta, which had a certain smell to it. I ate it anyway. When it, erm, reappeared, the smell was still there. It also managed to make its way into my breastmilk and therefore into DS's nappy - so much so the SCBU staff were commenting on it!

Also, the support staff don't respect closed curtains. Too many times I was in the middle of trying to express milk (not pretty), so topless and faffing with my nips on my bed, when they'd just fling the curtains back to tell me dinner was available. Not impressed, complained, made no difference.

TLDR: care is good, building is not pretty or modern, staff are busy but generally good except for thoughtless support staff, food is shite, bring your own/send partner out for supplies.

If I were having another one, I might consider St. Mary's, tbh, but only out of curiosity. I don't know that it gets much better anywhere else!

And congrats flowers

DiggityDam Wed 16-Nov-16 19:42:25

St. Mary's gets a big thumbs up from me.

I had both my dd's there, the most recent in Feb 2016. The antenal & postnatal care I received was excellent, as was the care after I was discharged. Both of my pregnancies had complications and both times the medical staff left nothing to chance, took any concerns I had seriously and were willing to work with me.

The on site facilities are good too, coffee shops & several cafes that are 24hours. The immediate area has a M&S food shop, Tesco local, various take aways & fast food places; which if you're going to have to stay in for a while is a massive plus as one one place it falters is the food. It's bearable but dear god after a few days you want to tear your tongue off!

arbee Wed 16-Nov-16 22:08:11

2 c-sections, both at Wythenshawe (2009 and 2013), absolutely no complaints, staff were lovely and I felt very well looked after - that's why I went back the second time!

Itscurtainsforyou Wed 16-Nov-16 23:14:08

Antenatal care at Wythenshawe was great for me. Birth was fine (both c-section and vaginal deliveries). Postnatal not great (not enough staff probably the root cause tbh). Food on ante natal ward was good (2015).

Delivered at St Mary's - vaginal birth, great supportive staff, all fine. Postnatal ward fine, I was in my own room as baby was in NICU. Food was shocking, pre-prepared microwave crap. But plenty of cafes/takeaways in and around hospital.

If anything is high risk, go to St Mary's smile

TurnOntheBrightLights Thu 17-Nov-16 14:06:34

I've had babies at both in the last 5 years. The care was great both times, however St Mary's was better. Neither birth was C-section, so can't tell you what they were like but we were in St Mary's for quite a few days and I thought the facilities were fine (we were lucky to have our own room). I know that St Mary's is the regional centre and I think that showed in the staffing (in a good way).

I found parking a nightmare at Wythenshawe but could always find a space in the multi-storey at St Mary's, so it might be worth bearing that in mind.

Zampa Thu 17-Nov-16 22:51:36

I had an EMCS at Wythenshawe in 2015. After 24 hours, baby and I were transferred to St. Mary's as DD was very ill. I can't praise the staff and facilities at both hospitals enough.

I think you'll be fine whichever you choose so tbh I'd choose the one that's easiest to get to/from for you and immediate family.

mandy214 Sun 08-Jan-17 10:54:42

Not recent experience but St Mary's was amazing. Haven't delivered at Wythenshawe so can't comment but if there is anything remotely risky, St Marys is unbelievable. Spent 3 weeks there with premature twins first time, got such good care that I chose to deliver (normal, term) baby there later. Very busy but brilliant staff.

To be honest, food was the least of my worries both times - wouldn't be a factor in my decision about where to give birth (just my view).

Flailingaround Sun 08-Jan-17 13:44:40

I had ds3 at home but we had to transfer to St Marys a couple of hours later as they were concerned about his temperature. It was your typical hospital experience- hot, bright, noisy, no privacy, appalling food, a mixture of lovely, kind, supportive staff and rude, unpleasant, overbearing staff (more of the former than the latter but the latter make a bigger impression when you're already feeling exhausted and disappointed and vulnerable). I'm biased though as I didn't want to be there at all and was.extremely frustrated that hours and hours after it was clearly indicated that we had no need to be there, we couldn't leave as.we were now "in the system" and had to wait for loads of stuff to be done before they'd discharge us.
The good staff arereally good and if there was a medical need to be in hospital St Mary's is the one I'd choose to be in. But I am just not a fan of the whole hospital birth and post natal.experience!

Amiee Sun 08-Jan-17 16:36:58

I was on Wythenshawe for my two elective c-sections. I hate hospitals and I hated wythenshawe. Very very hot and stuffy. Wouldn't let my dp stay to help hours after my c-section but wouldn't answer the button and didn't stop a woman talking on her phone all night. Staff were either too busy, rude or indifferent. Food was disgusting. Paper work not being done meant I was there for days longer than I should have too.
The c-section its self was excellent, I recovered quickly and the theatre staff were great.

Amiee Sun 08-Jan-17 16:42:11

My advice would be bring your own paracetamol, Ibuprofen, big water bottles (frozen) and a plug in fan. Demand what you want and don't take no for an answer.

sblowers21 Wed 18-Jan-17 13:06:33

Neither, go to the MRI. St Marys is tied to here and they have more facilities and better doctors.

swaying Wed 18-Jan-17 13:53:26

You can't have a baby at the MRI?

Heyitsholly Wed 18-Jan-17 20:35:10

St marys is at at the mri.

I have a csec there but emergency. It was all fine. Staff nice enough but too busy due to it being the main centre for all manc

MotherofPearl Thu 19-Jan-17 07:02:11

I had my 3rd DC at St Mary's in 2016, and would highly recommend it. I was induced, not CS. The midwife care was outstanding, and because the building is new, everything felt lovely and clean. If food is a problem, there's a M&S Simply Food downstairs: my DP bought me all my meals from there. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now