Friend-making thread - Manchester edition

(45 Posts)
LintRoller Sun 09-Aug-15 21:50:06

Hello all grin

Here is our very own thread to get to know each other a bit, and organise a meet up.

A few thoughts:

How about the Trafford Centre as a convenient central meeting point? Coffee shop?

I work full time so can only make it evening or weekends (unless you all want to Wendy me by meeting up in my absence, of course).

This might be a weird idea but I've always found it much easier to get to know people at a regular thing. Anyone up for a book club or similar? Obviously once we have met and confirmed none of us are axe murderers

LintRoller Sun 09-Aug-15 21:51:02

PS I know some of you have different Local nicknames to avoid being outed - that's fine - just re-introduce yourself here smile

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 21:52:28

Hullo - sounds good to me.

I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old and am 26 weeks pregnant. Would love to come along to any meet up and can hopefully make it within the next 14 weeks!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 21:53:22

Do people have different names for this? <looks around nervously>

Please don't advance search me!

LintRoller Sun 09-Aug-15 21:58:17

Hi Gobbolino ! That's brilliant. How is your pregnancy going?

Haha I've never worked out how to advance search people so you are safe with me grin It's just when I signed up for MN Local there was an option to choose a different name as you aren't allowed to name change on here apparently. (I didn't bother).

Sparkleandsmile Sun 09-Aug-15 21:59:01

Heya. Yep I have a different name for this smile

Sparkleandsmile Sun 09-Aug-15 22:37:54

So who is everyone? I'm a mummy, work part time, home bird, quite shy really [smile ]

littlequack Sun 09-Aug-15 22:39:13

Hi
I'm 28 and married with 2 DD (2.9 and 14 months). I like crafts and baking eating too much cake I work part-time in science.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 22:40:07

I'm a SAHM - job not conducive to 3 (nearly!) under 3!

Pregnancy going well - thank you. But very glad it will be the last time. My 1 year old doesn't walk yet so I'm quite tired carrying her about all day!

Sparkleandsmile Sun 09-Aug-15 22:47:37

I really want another baby but I have just had one! Haha. Hope you have some support Gobbo, can't be easy, its easier going to work some days.

My DS likes baking... Unforchantly for him I'm not a natural, it I do try!...I'm mo ing on from 'Tom and Jerry' cupcake mix....

LintRoller Sun 09-Aug-15 22:47:56

Hi Sparkle and littlequack smile I'm 32 and live in Altrincham. Have a DH and one DS aged 2.5, and a very large cat. I'm also a home bird. I like cooking and baking and eating , and reading. Also films but have rarely had a chance to do that since DS was born!

How old are your children Sparkle ?

Sparkleandsmile Sun 09-Aug-15 22:49:02

*moving on...sorry Phones letting me down again...

Sparkleandsmile Sun 09-Aug-15 22:50:35

My children are 5 and 9 months, I live in Oldham

LintRoller Sun 09-Aug-15 22:53:04

Sorry cross-post Sparkle . I like the idea of another one but in reality think it would push me over the edge grin

My DS is also a cooking fiend. We got him a play kitchen for Christmas and he loves it, but nothing beats making chocolate crispy cakes.

Gobbolino glad things are going well smile DS didn't walk (without holding onto things) until 15 months - it was hard work - can't imagine being pregnant too. It will be lovely for them to all grow up so close in age though.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 22:55:54

DS didn't walk until 22 months - although he was very good when he started. DD is 18 months so I'm praying that she is sooner grin

I do have a lovely DH which really helps and very helpful parents. I used to be a lawyer and there are definitely some days that I would love to be back at work!

RevsDeCub Sun 09-Aug-15 22:59:40

Gobbo I'm also pregnant. 35+3 so the end is in sight It couldn't come any quicker
I'll introduce myself like I did on the original page... 21, Trafford, first DC (DS grin) on the way. I don't have any local friends & as I'm a youngish mummy to be, the friends I do have are all childless.
2 weeks until maternity leave then I'm free all day every day (or am I being optimistic grin). Trafford Centre is a 5 min drive so good for me but obviously depends on the date & whether or not I am in labour/cuddling a newborn, but if it's successful I would be up for any future meetings.
Book clubs/activities sound good. I don't have any hobbies per se at the moment, but I am looking for things to do on my mat leave. Having over a year off so & as much as I can't wait to spend time with my baby, I need something else to keep me occupied too or I'll go stir crazy!

Bleakhouse1879 Sun 09-Aug-15 23:02:51

Hello. I am 36 and <gasp> a bloke from the far side of Bolton. I recently joined MN, as I will be looking after my niece and two nephews for a week for my sister. It will be a chance for me to dip my toe in to the choppy waters of parenting.

Framboisier Sun 09-Aug-15 23:03:51

Hi!

I just moved to Macclesfield a month ago. Work FT, couple of days in Manchester and also in wilmslow and occasionally Birmingham/London.

Have 2 boys,8 &5 years.
Would love to meet local friends as have left my crowd back in Surrey wink
I like books and wine
And American tv

And cocktails and dancing, given the opportunity grin

Would love a meet up!

Framboisier Sun 09-Aug-15 23:04:27

Hi!

I just moved to Macclesfield a month ago. Work FT, couple of days in Manchester and also in wilmslow and occasionally Birmingham/London.

Have 2 boys,8 &5 years.
I like books and wine
And American tv

Would love a meet up!

RevsDeCub Sun 09-Aug-15 23:05:17

Gobbolino should have said that rather than Gobbo. Showing my age as no clue who that is!! grin

Framboisier Sun 09-Aug-15 23:05:17

Hi!

Have 2 boys,8 &5 years.
I like books and wine
And American tv

Would love a meet up!

Framboisier Sun 09-Aug-15 23:05:36

Hi!

Have 2 boys,8 &5 years.
I like books and wine
And American tv

Would love a meet up!

Mossel Sun 09-Aug-15 23:12:47

I'm in Cheshire, not far from Knutsford and would love to make some new friends.
Divorce and my two closest friends emigrating has left me with none.
However, I'm decades older than any of you and I don't want you to think it's granny's day out, so I'll live vicariously through this thread.grin

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 23:17:18

mossel - it would be lovely if you would come. You could hold one of my DC for starters! grin

Mossel Sun 09-Aug-15 23:26:16

grin Gobbolino

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now