Urmston, Whitefield, Monton or Stretford…HELP PLS.

(14 Posts)
gezelligleven Thu 16-Jul-15 08:37:44

We are relocating! I am having a difficult time narrowing down to where we can rent and eventually buy in the near future... I like Urmston a lot, they have good schools which is a big plus for me. Stretford for its diversity and access to good schools too, Monton has a community feel to it which is great but lacks in diversity, Whitefield more space for my money and i like the general feel. I know they are all different but all appear to have good access to the city…Anyone know these areas please give your opinion. I appreciate any insight. I have 3 dds, good school is paramount, we are moving from a non English speaking country so wouldn't want to change schools more than once…hoping we get it right the first time. Thank you and I appreciate any input.

georgedawes Thu 16-Jul-15 08:40:42

I'd say Urmston.

gezelligleven Thu 16-Jul-15 09:02:14

I know right? My right senses says Urmston but I like the vibe I get in Whitefield (using streetview though). Never been there. Thanks.

gezelligleven Thu 16-Jul-15 11:49:33

More opinions please…

peacypops Fri 17-Jul-15 11:30:47

Don't know Whitefield or Monton so can't comment on those areas but know both Stretford and Urmston. Urmston I really like - lovely houses, good schoools and a fairly nice centre with some good local shops, facilities etc. I would happily live there (and it's definitely on our list of possible areas for the future) Stretford I would say is more mixed and some parts not so great. It doesn't really have a centre as such which would put me off. Saying that, there are some good schools and some nice bits. I like the area around Longford park - easy walk into Chorlton. More expensive though - especially to buy. Firswood/Old Trafford also good options if you want to be somewhere diverse and affordable -although both are getting more pricey now. We live in this area and there is a lovely community feel, good schools and you are only a hop and a skip to Chorlton or on to a tram!

gezelligleven Fri 17-Jul-15 20:32:08

Thank you peacypops. I like Urmston, though there aren't a lot of property to rent at the moment. I have never heard of Firswood. What is it like getting into town from Firswood? Are schools heavily over subscribed? I will check it out on streetview and see if i can get a feel to it.

peacypops Fri 17-Jul-15 22:11:58

Firswood kind of in between chorlton and old Trafford. It has a tramstop so easy for town. Look around ryebank road, erlington road as some nice properties around there. There is St Hilda's school and St Teresa's which are both good primary schools.

gezelligleven Sat 18-Jul-15 07:10:20

Any idea of secondary schools? Am I right to say Firswood is in Stretford? Can I send you a pm?

peacypops Sat 18-Jul-15 09:54:46

Definitely falls under Trafford and close to Stretford. PM me yes

gezelligleven Mon 20-Jul-15 21:43:49

Thank you peacypops, I am definitely considering Firswood.

Please can anyone help me out with Whitefield? What it's like, schools (Primary and Secondary)and are there areas to avoid? I appreciate all input.

Victorianbeaut Tue 21-Jul-15 11:23:39

I don't know Monton that well but I pass through it sometimes, there are some nice houses in parts but seems a bit rough in places. We considered moving there but the schools seem a bit mixed, some good some not so.

We used to live near Whitefield so we used to go to the park there, lots of green space and I cycled through Ringley into the countryside. I don't know all of it but the parts we saw looked nice, nice houses but expensive close to Ringley. Seems quite diverse but I don't know about the schools.

I would recommend Urmston/Stretford on the basis of schools but look into the school you would be closest to.

itsahen Mon 27-Jul-15 23:05:30

I know all those areas. Feel free to PM me

gezelligleven Wed 05-Aug-15 07:24:18

Thank you Victorianbeaut.
itsahen, I sent you a pm.

itsahen Fri 07-Aug-15 18:56:01

Argh yes I'll reply later ! Just seen it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now